Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Scene

Old Apr 29, 2003, 04:09 PM   #1
DHagan4755
macrumors 6502a

Big Winners: Think Secret, MacWhispers

As far as rumors go, it appears that Think Secret took the grand prize yesterday, pretty much nailing the new cosmetic redesign iPod and music service Apple was going to unveil. They were also right on with regard to last week's release of new iBooks too. Suprising to me, however, was the fact that Mac Whispers got a small detail to us before Think Secret on March 6th and was accurate at a distance. Many were stumped by the Firewire/USB combo cable because it seemed like a left field rumor. (Link: http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000045.php). He has a ton of other rumors that he has not accurately predicted, but they are older rumors. It makes one wonder what else has he published that may actually come true?

eg.
970 PowerBooks
970 Towers
30 in Cinema Display

Speculating now, I believe that Apple was working on releasing new iPods after Christmas, as MacWhispers and others had reported, in the older designs, but pulled the release because they were close to completion on two other projects, which we now know as the Apple Music Store and the newly redesigned iPod.
DHagan4755 is offline   0
Old Apr 29, 2003, 04:22 PM   #2
dstorey
macrumors 6502a

he did contradict think secret on no changes to ipod buttons etc which he got totally wrong and think secret got right and an earlier post said white back didn't it? and its still chrome.
dstorey is offline   0
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:54 AM   #3
applemacdude
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to applemacdude Send a message via AIM to applemacdude Send a message via MSN to applemacdude Send a message via Yahoo to applemacdude Send a message via Skype™ to applemacdude
welll they got the main description pretty good
applemacdude is offline   0
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:22 AM   #4
AmbitiousLemon
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to AmbitiousLemon
even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and then.
AmbitiousLemon is offline   0
Old Apr 30, 2003, 04:03 PM   #5
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
I hadn't posted a true rumor wrapup... as I started to, and I felt like it wouldn't be much different from the roundup I posted a few days prior -- which is generally a good sign -- all the major rumors came true.

My observation on MacWhispers:

1) Yes, they apparently do have _some_ contacts... in that the USB/Firewire plug was reported by them.

2) Their sources are not consistently accurate - This was another one of their posts:

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000059.php

Quote:
First, with no data coming from OEM sources recently to indicate a radical change in iPod enclosure construction, and with the stainless steel back cover production quantities recently ramped back up to mid-2002 levels, we are confident that the soon to appear 'Pod will look the same, and have the same control interface, and the same rear cover configuration as the present iPod. At the risk of contradicting other rumor sites, we don't believe there are "buttons" coming on the iPod.
arn
arn is offline   0
Old Apr 30, 2003, 04:18 PM   #6
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Quote:
Originally posted by arn
I hadn't posted a true rumor wrapup... as I started to, and I felt like it wouldn't be much different from the roundup I posted a few days prior -- which is generally a good sign -- all the major rumors came true.

My observation on MacWhispers:

1) Yes, they apparently do have _some_ contacts... in that the USB/Firewire plug was reported by them.

2) Their sources are not consistently accurate - This was another one of their posts:

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000059.php

arn
He is telling us this because he knows he sources are very very very good.

(not sarcastic, they really are)
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0
Old Apr 30, 2003, 06:09 PM   #7
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMacman
He is telling us this because he knows he sources are very very very good.

(not sarcastic, they really are)
not sure what you meant... but MacWhispers shows promise in the future... they do have a lot of rumors floating out there... we'll see what comes down.

arn
arn is offline   0
Old May 6, 2003, 08:20 PM   #8
scem0
macrumors 604

I really like MacWhispers. They present rumors precisely,
concisely, and sometimes accurately. I like how they are very
specific in their rumors, and don't make wide generalizations.
I also like the simple layout of their site.
scem0 is offline   0
Old May 6, 2003, 08:35 PM   #9
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon

Quote:
Originally posted by Macwhispers.com
Ahead of the new PowerMac is a new mid-sized PowerBook, previously discussed here as having had an odd on-again off-again production situation since January, and now having been redeveloped to be PPC 970 based. This 15.4-inch PowerBook is being "rapidly ramped into actual production" at this time. with actual assembly line operations expected to commence "this week, in volume."

---

First, we have been told, and we have second-sourced the claim that 15.4-inch PowerBook motherboards are now in production and are shipping regularly to Apple's contract PowerBook assembler. Next, we have been told, and we have also second-sourced a claim that bid requests for a fully-designed 970-based board for the 17-inch PowerBook were received by two assembly plants this past Friday, with a submission deadline for replies of April 30th.

Finally, a reliable source in engineering management at the ODM supplier providing the upcoming PowerMac motherboards has informed us that those boards went into volume production this past Friday, and that first shipments to Apple's final assembly partner for the new PowerMacs is to take place "about April 15th."

---

We have received surprisingly detailed information about the small injection molded enclosure previously mentioned here. Our plastics contact has given us sufficient details to realize that this product is some sort of mini-tablet device. And, it has just gone into actual production.
These were from awhile ago, so where is the PPC 970 PowerBook and the Mini-Table -- they were/are in production.

But they got the USB/Firewire cable right so all is forgiven.
Old May 6, 2003, 09:32 PM   #10
scem0
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
I hope you don't mind me using this quite often. I think that is great.
scem0 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Scene