Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
For those interested, it looks like Apple has dropped the prices of their Macbook refurbs again. The low end has dropped down to $849.00. $899 for a midrange. You can get a Blackbook for $999.00.

I wonder if this is a sign that the C2D refurbs are coming.

dhc

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
UK
The UK refurb store shows a 16% (across the range) saving still. I think that's always been the case for refurb macbooks here (been keeping a close eye on them;) ) I hope we get a price drop too.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Damn, and the high-end white one is down to $899. I thought it was a deal when it was at $1099. I must resist until the spring though...

animenick65

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
Damn right. I was going to wait too. But I cannot pass up getting a nice blackbook for $1000 even if it is only a CD.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
The UK refurb store shows a 16% (across the range) saving still. I think that's always been the case for refurb macbooks here (been keeping a close eye on them;) ) I hope we get a price drop too.

FYI, I bought a refirb MBP (2Ghz/100Gb/1Gb/256Mb graphics) about 6 weeks ago (two weeks before the C2D versions came out :-(

The price was good - 30% off, it arrived really quickly and the case was as-new. The only issue is the box is plain brown, not the nice shiny box that new ones come in - like this matters!

I would have assumed that it would be perfect.... Ass-U-Me - it bit me.

It's a winer. It's been back for a new logic board. It came back and still wined. I booked it back in for repairs, and before I could take it back one of the fans packed up.

So I'm waiting for the fans to arrive at the repair centre, but the wining won't be dealt with this time as they've not seen the problem.

Grr.

Lesson; if this were a new one, I'd have simply sent it straight back to them and demanded either a replacement or the money back. Because it's a refirb you have a *strict* 14 days, then it's into the repair cycle.

If you get a refirb, thouroughly check it out.

Knowing mine was born in April, I've got a 6 month old machine that's probably been sent back umpteen times by the previous owners!

I'm not going to get another refirb!

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
FYI, I bought a refirb MBP (2Ghz/100Gb/1Gb/256Mb graphics) about 6 weeks ago (two weeks before the C2D versions came out :-(

The price was good - 30% off, it arrived really quickly and the case was as-new. The only issue is the box is plain brown, not the nice shiny box that new ones come in - like this matters!

I would have assumed that it would be perfect.... Ass-U-Me - it bit me.

It's a winer. It's been back for a new logic board. It came back and still wined. I booked it back in for repairs, and before I could take it back one of the fans packed up.

So I'm waiting for the fans to arrive at the repair centre, but the wining won't be dealt with this time as they've not seen the problem.

Grr.

Lesson; if this were a new one, I'd have simply sent it straight back to them and demanded either a replacement or the money back. Because it's a refirb you have a *strict* 14 days, then it's into the repair cycle.

If you get a refirb, thouroughly check it out.

Knowing mine was born in April, I've got a 6 month old machine that's probably been sent back umpteen times by the previous owners!

I'm not going to get another refirb!

My Macbook is a refurb, purchased at the end of September. It's flawless. I would recommend buying a Macbook refurb to anyone.

From everything I've read about the MBP, I don't know that it would have mattered whether its was new or refurbed. It seems like buying a MBP is kind of a craps shoot.

animenick65

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
Yea I'm still going to get a refurb blackbook. I mean the savings are awesome and I don't need the crap performance gains of C2D and everyone and their brother is having problems with MBPs. Actually, I think your story is the only one i've heard of a problematic apple refurb.

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Ordered my refurb 1.83ghz macbook last night! I've been wanting one of these for soooo long. I've been using this xp dell for the past 4 months or so ever since I sold mu g3 ibook.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I was tempted to buy a refurb Macbook due to my limited budget but I'm going to wait about 2 more weeks. I'll then have enough for the MB T7200 C2D :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.