Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snicker71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
Hi all, just switched, white macbook 2.0 (stock).
Just one small hiccup with my lovely new machine - my samsung ML-1510 mono laser printer has no intel mac driver available and I can't print, i've searched all-over but to no avail. Can anyone on macrumors help? Please!

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Sometimes you can get away with using a generic driver. The HP LaserJet 4 printer driver works for a lot of different laser printers. So you could try that one.

snicker71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
Printer help.

Thanks for you suggestion. I tried alot of the HP Laserjet drivers but none worked. This is becoming really fustrating, I thought Mac's just worked?:confused:

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Unless you are ready to mess with Gimp and unsupported drivers, do yourself a favor and get a different printer. Apple is not responsible for supporting every printer out in the world, and Samsung dropped support for OS X a while ago.

If you want a cheap laser that does "Just work" get a Brother HL-2040 or the 2070N

OfficeMax has the 2070N on the cheap - http://www.officemax.com/max/soluti...rodBlockOID=537463540&expansionOID=-536907398

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Odd, I use a Samsun ML-2010 and never had to mess with drivers or anything (that I can recall). Are the two models that different? :confused:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
So I haven't tried it just yet... but a quick google turned out this site, which will hopefully work out for you, linky. I've never used the site myself, so you might wanna put a spammy email there instead of your primary. :p

:edit: I have no clue if this will be helpful at all, but I was able to find the ML-1510's User Manual on Samsung's site, here.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Samsung hasn't dropped OSX support, unless it's happened very recently. Their OSX support just isn't very good.

Ok, I will rephrase. Samsung doesn't offer Mac drivers for the ML-1510, 1520, 1710, 1740...the list goes on. It seems to be hit or miss that you will actually get Mac drivers for a printer from Samsung. A quick search shows the 2010 does have drivers for OS X, but the 2250 doesn't...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Ok, I will rephrase. Samsung doesn't offer Mac drivers for the ML-1510, 1520, 1710, 1740...the list goes on. It seems to be hit or miss that you will actually get Mac drivers for a printer from Samsung. A quick search shows the 2010 does have drivers for OS X, but the 2250 doesn't...

I know. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Samsung. I bought one of their color lasers and have been sorry ever since, the poor Mac support being only one of the issues. I wish they'd decide one way or another if they're interested in supplying the Mac market because the current (as you say, hit or miss) situation stinks. I warn people away from Samsung for this reason.

radiostar07

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2007
Solution!

Hey there.I had the same problem (I have an intel mac mini). I used the driver at the below link and hey presto.

http://www.samsung.com/download/File...e=DR&language=

After installing you will need to go into system preferences / print and fax / options and supplies / choose driver tab / from the print using drop down list choose select a driver to use / search under 'ML-1510' not 'samsung'.

stev17mac

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
Samsung ML 1510 driver

Radiostar07 is correct. I had the same prob trying to get my ML1510 printing from a new Mac Book, after futile efforts to download a driver. The driver is present in the driver list, not under Samsung, but under ML1510, between Minolta and NEC driver lists. And it does the job.

GRGibbs

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
Huddersfield, UK
Printer driver for Samsung ML-1510

Download the file ML-1510 Mac OS 10.2.4 or higher, Mac OS 10.4~10.5 (ver.0.97) from the Samsung Download Center (http://www.samsung.com/download/#)
The file is called " 20040714091617593_SPL2.dmg".

Install, then look for the driver called ML-1510 -700 (N.B. not Samsung ML-...)

I know. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Samsung. I bought one of their color lasers and have been sorry ever since, the poor Mac support being only one of the issues. I wish they'd decide one way or another if they're interested in supplying the Mac market because the current (as you say, hit or miss) situation stinks. I warn people away from Samsung for this reason.

While I have the ML2010 on a PPC-based Mac atm and have therefore not specifically suffered the problems of the thread starter, I understand what you mean, and find it similarly vexing. However, maybe with Apple's acquisition of CUPS, this sort of problem will become a thing of the past.

As an example, I've used this printer quite successfully in Debian Etch PPC, Ubuntu 6.10 PPC and 7.10 PPC, Fedora 6/7/8 PPC, as well as a couple x86 distros as well. I'm really tired of hardware manufacturers' collective stupidity out there. Just build the d@mn thing, write a spec driver, and give out the APIs so that anyone who wants to build and support a driver may do so.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
My solution was to dump the Samsung and buy a Xerox 6180MFP. Their Mac driver support isn't perfect, but it's a lot better. (And so is the print quality!)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The Brother emulates other printers (HPLaserjet, IBM Proprinter, Epson FX-850) if you use ethernet and log into the printer at 192.168.1.x using an internet browser -- and configure the printer.

Does the Samsung offer anything similar?

Pensioner

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008

frothy85

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Ive got a samsung 1520 which there doesnt seem to be a mac driver for.. I wonder if the 1510 driver will work???

wonders

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2007
Hi, I had the same problem.
Just go here http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/d...l_nm=ML-1510&mType=DR&vType=L&disp_nm=ML-1510
download the "ML-1510 Mac OS 10.2.4 or higher, Mac OS 10.4~10.5 (ver.0.97)"
then plug the printer, go to printer and fax settings and select ml-1510_700 printer.

Carol

Wow, thank you, this UK-link really works! From the 'normal' samsung.com site there can't be found any drivers for the ML-1510 at all! ..and for the seemingly next closest ML-1520 only Windows drivers. *eew*

timftaylor

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
Skipton, North Yorkshire
similar problems with Samsung ML-1610. any ideas?

I just have a new iMac and a not very old Samsung ML-1610. The two dont work together. There is something on the web about an Aussie website for Samsung with drivers that work for this printer, but I confess I have no idea what I am doing. I tried it and downloaded something but had no idea how to proceed with it. I found something about a 'gimp' as well, and that made no sense either. I have contacted Samsung UK but am not holding my breath. Any advice gratefully received. I hope I dont need to buy another printer as I was not told it wouldn't work with a Mac when I bought it, and I had been planning the iMac as a replacement for my PC for a couple of years.

Update: Samsung UK tell me simply that 'there are no drivers for this model' So it looks like I have to scrap it. Is there no alternative?

Pensioner

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
Samung 1620

Update: Samsung UK tell me simply that 'there are no drivers for this model' So it looks like I have to scrap it. Is there no alternative?[/QUOTE]

Tim it might be worth having a look at http://www.cups.org/ppd.php Type your printer into the search bar & it finds a driver. On my desktop is a file sspm1200.ppd.gz This does not say it is a Samsung driver but worth a try.

Hope this works for you. Like the lady above who supplied a link & rescued my printer.

Regards

Peter

machristoff

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
samsung ml 1520 driver for mac

Ive got a samsung 1520 which there doesnt seem to be a mac driver for.. I wonder if the 1510 driver will work???

Hi, I also spent a lot of time on this problem:mad: GOOGLE "gogetdrivers ml 1520 for mac releases 63" and try the link from google.

samsung ml 1520 driver for mac (driver):

Available Drivers: 1

Latest Added Driver: samsung ml 1520 driver for mac (+13 files)

Date Posted:22:16 08/03/2008

Download Drivers:

Driver Title:samsung ml 1520 driver for mac (+13 files)

File Size: 105 KB

I just downloaded the driver and am eager to get to my ml 1520 to see if it works.Will let all know if it works!:apple:

nCafe

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
ML-1520 Driver for SnowLeopard (10.6) & Lion (10.7)

Hello,

I have Samsung's ML-1520 and with Lion only this driver Splix-2.0.0 let the Printer works.

Hope it will help you too.

Kind Regards,
nCafe

jazkohli

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2011
Hello,

I have Samsung's ML-1520 and with Lion only this driver Splix-2.0.0 let the Printer works.

Hope it will help you too.

Kind Regards,
nCafe

thanks bro, this link is really helpful and works for most of the samsung printers especially the samsung ML-15X series, my printer smashing ML-1510 worked fine, though when i gave the print command and opened the printer window, it still says unable to find the port, but print out came just fine. :):apple:

have a nice day,
jazkohli

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.