Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

register

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Hi there, got my MBP 17" earlier this week. Enjoying it immensely.
I'm using an old mighty mouse on at the moment, however, I'm fed up of it being rubbish. The scroll wheel died moments after this things was out of the box. What I'm wondering, will a microsoft mouse work just as well? In terms of sensitivity etc?
Does anyone use this set up?
I'd apppreciate your shared knowledge
thanks
tom

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Microsoft optical mice work great with Macs. I would recommend one, although you may also want to take a look at Logitech's range.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Hmm, I've never had any problems with my Mighty Mice, always worked a charm.

But yes, any other mice will work. As said above, check out logitechs

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical. Using the MS software and Apple's mouse settings, I have configured the buttons to do all sorts of useful things.

I highly recommend their mice. I just never got used to the Apple ones after the Apple Bus Mouse II.

apple_bus_sm.jpg

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
The Intellimouse Opticals w/ 2 buttons & clickable scroll wheel works great with OS X.....and are reasonably priced too (~$20) :)

But there are many more out there if you need mega-buttons/high resolution/faster/more accuracy, of which the Logitecs are some of the best........

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I've been using a Logitech wired mx310 mouse on my mini for 2 years. Haven't had any issues
My favorite too, but not everyone needs a bajillion buttons. Any USB mouse will work. You can even d/l software for them from Logitech, MS, and others. Some are specifically made for Macs, like Macally (and Kensington, kinda). But you don't even need to bother with that if you're just clicking and scrolling.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
My favourite is the Logitech Revolution VX. An excellent mouse for the MBP. The only minus that this mouse has from the Mighty Mouse is the side scrolling - but then, all non-Apple mice have that disadvantage too. Everything else is noticeably better.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2006
I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical. Using the MS software and Apple's mouse settings, I have configured the buttons to do all sorts of useful things.

I highly recommend their mice. I just never got used to the Apple ones after the Apple Bus Mouse II.

apple_bus_sm.jpg

Wow Old School! Lol! love that one back in the day!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've been using an MS Wheel Mouse Optical as my primary Mac mouse for nearly 4 years, with no problems whatsoever (except when I installed the MS software, which screwed everything up).

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
I used one of These at work. The apple mice are far to small for me to use for 8+ hours. The microsoft mouse was a great fit for my hand..

Too bad the left click stopped working after using it for a small number of months.

i would still be using it today If it had been built to withstand ACTUAL USE, but unfortunately it ended up crapping out on me. Funny how that reflects all of my M$ experiences.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Microsoft mice will work great, but I find the scroll wheels on those crap out pretty quickly. I've seen it happen to a bunch of them. Logitech mice are nicer.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I've use Apple, microsoft, and Logitech mice with no problems. However, I currently use a Logitech G5 both at home and at work, and am loving it (using USBOverdrive on the Mac side).

richierich1958

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I have had my Microsoft mouse for 8 months and like all Microsoft products, the wheel just crapped out on me. It's going in the trash and I'm going out to buy a real produce (a Logitech)!

Garbage, garbage!!!

theDUB

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2008
SLT, CA
Microsoft mice will work great, but I find the scroll wheels on those crap out pretty quickly. I've seen it happen to a bunch of them. Logitech mice are nicer.

I've been using a Micro$oft Optical Wheel Mouse since August of 2004 and it's still going strong.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I hate MicroSoft! But Logitech and Logicool make awesome mice! I like the G5 gamer mouse!!! Sweeet! And cheaper than MS mice I think too!

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Old thread is old.

I've been using a Micro$oft Optical Wheel Mouse since August of 2004 and it's still going strong.
The mice themselves last, just the wheels tend to become mushy and not work as well. Same thing happens with lots of other brands too. Like none of them expect you to be using middle click very much. That said, I'm using a MS Wireless Optical 5000 at work and the wheel has remained in good condition.

KoL

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Puerto Rico
Ive been using Microsoft mice for a long time. They are great. Right now I have a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 7000 on my Mac Pro.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I have had my Microsoft mouse for 8 months and like all Microsoft products, the wheel just crapped out on me. It's going in the trash and I'm going out to buy a real produce (a Logitech)!

Garbage, garbage!!!

I've used several Microsoft optical mice, including a wireless one.

I changed to the Apple mouse because I wanted a bluetooth one.

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
I used a mighty mouse for a year, and thought it was nice until the ball died. (That was the most expensive mouse I had ever used at that point) After that, I bought a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 7000 and used it for 6 months, and eventually it got to the point that I was having problems with the buttons and it disconnecting and waking the computer. The plastic and materials were also very cheap feeling in my hand. Now, I am using a Logitech MX Revolution that I got for $75 from Amazon, and it is awesome. (had it 5 months) The buttons are firm, the plastic is strong, it's extremely comfortable, the wheel is amazing to use and I find myself spinning normal mice, and the battery is mediocre. I have to charge it every two weeks, which requires shutting down the computer since it wakes it up. My only gripes are the battery life and it has a weird problem with expose not working while in spaces.

So, from a guy who has used the mighty mouse (2 actually), dell mice, microsoft mice, and now a logitech mouse, go for Logitech.

steelrod

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
clicking noise

im useing a wired m/soft mouse on my imac, but it makes this horrible clicking noise every time i press the button.
is there any way of stopping this

thanks in advance

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Are you talking abut a physical click coming from the mouse itself when you click the buttons or a sound effect from your iMac speakers when you click something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.