Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Re: MPlayer 2.0b3

This is such an excellent program, it just works. I usually get annoyed at the video lan client player even though its more feature rich. I suppose mplayer is kind of like a mac, does what it says and does it well (apart from the fact that macs are also feature rich - but thats another story)

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Meh.... VLC is better. I tried Mplayer, it was buggy and didn't even launch on my mac. VLC is more like a mac, it works for me.

alset

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by Wes
Meh.... VLC is better. I tried Mplayer, it was buggy and didn't even launch on my mac. VLC is more like a mac, it works for me.

I don't like that VLC requires me to use the slider to move through a file. I like that MPlayer lets me use the arrow keys to FFWD/RWD while in full screen mode. This is crucial, to me.

Dan

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Originally posted by Wes

Well the audio output from VLC really sucks. I'm watching a movie on my home cinema system, I don't want it to sound like i'm listening to a tin radio in a bath. mPlayer plays back the audio in the quality it was encoded in and sounds great. VLC doesn't do this, and that includes the latest versions for me.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
am i the only one who thinks the early versions of vlc was working better and more compatable the the latest one. maybe it's just my machine.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Originally posted by vniow
Nice, its a self-contained app this time around, don't have to install the binaries or whatnot...

Just wish you could organize the playlist somewhat, mine's all cluttered.

This could potentially be the itunes for video if the playlist function was more advanced. Although maybe it would end up being too much like itunes for apple legal to stay away.

alset

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by vniow
Nice, its a self-contained app this time around, don't have to install the binaries or whatnot...

Just wish you could organize the playlist somewhat, mine's all cluttered.

Love the new avatar!

So what is it with your playlist that makes it cluttered? Mine is not an issue. Is there something you want to do that is not obvious to me?

Dan

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by alset
Love the new avatar!

Hee hee...

So what is it with your playlist that makes it cluttered? Mine is not an issue. Is there something you want to do that is not obvious to me?

Dan

Its probably the way I imported them, I have a variety of formats (MOV, MP4, WMV, AVI, ASF, MPG, MPEG-2, etc...) so I just selected add to playlist from the menu and selected all the files I wanted added and they ended up all disorganized, no order whatsoever, not alphebetical, not by format, nada and the only way I can put them into some sort of order is by taking each one and moving it to where I want it which is too much trouble for the amount of videos I have plus my iBook can hardly handle some of the larger rez ones so its not exactly a big issue, but it sure would be nice to have all my videos organized..

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I hope that this beta is better than the last. I found 2.0 to be just too unstable to use. I went back to 1.1 (or what ever it was). Unfortunately, I can't use it at all now. I've downgraded my computer system temporarily, so I can't run mPlayer. But VLC still runs well (surprisingly well, to be honest).

Once Apple releases the new 15" PowerBook, I'll be back up to speed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.