Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael-appleru

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Minnesota
I Need to convert .mov and .dv (Quicktime files) to .wmv (Windows Media file)

Because I have a Mac and everyone else has windows so to share my video that I have made I need have the files .wmv (and no they wont get quicktime)

FLIP4MAC DOESNT LET ME HAVE THE OUTPUTTED FILES LONGER THAN 30 SEC.

IT NEEDS TO BE FREE

I make my movie with iMovie HD 5.0.2

Thanks...i think...(hopefully)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Why should you have to alter your processes and spend money (there are no free converters as MS own the wmv format and anyone who wants to make a conversion program must purchase a license from MS so they have to make that money back by charging for the program) when all your friends need to do is download some free software?

You can't make the movie into a standard .mpg or .mp4 file? They're pretty much cross-platform.

I'd just tell your mates to stop being little stupid buggers and download Quicktime or they won't get your movies.

michael-appleru

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Minnesota
well some people are teachers and the files are assignments and the teachers WILL NOT download anything (including Quicktime)

Nice try though!

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Er?

Free? I've NEVER heard of a free program that converts to wmv.

Sorry for not being helpful.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Free? I've NEVER heard of a free program that converts to wmv.

Sorry for not being helpful.
There is none. If the OP wants to convert video to WMV, he must reach into his pocket and extract some folding green. Chundles is correct. MPG is cross-platform. Windows Media Player will play it and you don't have to pay for a transcoder.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah...

Quicktime Pro outputs into wmv, I believe. Yes, I KNOW YOU WANT IT TO BE FREE, but $30 isn't all that much for an important project.

briantology

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
I have the same question as the OP. So with QuickTime Pro, you can only export 30 seconds of video to .WMV? And the only way to convert the whole video to .WMV is to buy, say, Flip4Mac or whatever? And MPG (mpeg1) could be used instead as it can play on windows? Also, how bad does mpeg make the quality of a video? Thanks, and sorry for all the questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.