Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Of interest, Panther has not yet seeded outside the development team. As a result, it seems unlikely that the "leaked" screenshots were legitimate.

(In additional speculation... while I hate to encourage speculation based on a lack of Apple Legal action. Apple has traditionally pursued legal action against pre-release Screenshots, Movies, and Photos.)

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
did anyone seriously think that those shots were real? that piles thing was a joke; it took up more space than a standard arrangement and had no other benefits. apple is keeping the lid tight on this project. i'm sure the gm will have several surprises not included in the version shown at wwdc.

rockman2023

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
did anyone seriously think that those shots were real? that piles thing was a joke; it took up more space than a standard arrangement and had no other benefits. apple is keeping the lid tight on this project. i'm sure the gm will have several surprises not included in the version shown at wwdc.

I'm sure Apple will show us enough to make us want to go out and buy a copy.

On another note, for whomever saw the Piles Flash Demo, IMO, I think it's inaccurate. Think about it.....why would the documents in the pile expand vertically, when we usually see icons from a birds eye view. Wouldn't it just get in the way of icons above the pile?

ennerseed

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
if you are talking about the Apple-x.net pics

"Duh." (that's Duh peroid)

Not anything against them, I just think they were bamboozled.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well thats good, for a while i thought instead of my normal messy background, it would be messy with diaganol icons. well not realy, i didnt beleve the pictures anyways.

iJon

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Originally posted by rockman2023
I'm sure Apple will show us enough to make us want to go out and buy a copy.

On another note, for whomever saw the Piles Flash Demo, IMO, I think it's inaccurate. Think about it.....why would the documents in the pile expand vertically, when we usually see icons from a birds eye view. Wouldn't it just get in the way of icons above the pile?

I should probably post this in the piles thread, but I think you're right, unless it were a dockling type of feature - things expand out of the dock already, this might just be a nicer way to look at it.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Re: Panther Screens Fake?

Originally posted by Macrumors
Of interest, Panther has not yet seeded outside the development team. As a result, it seems unlikely that the "leaked" screenshots were legitimate.

(In additional speculation... while I hate to encourage speculation based on a lack of Apple Legal action. Apple has traditionally pursued legal action against pre-release Screenshots, Movies, and Photos.)

Well, actually, I remember TONS and TONS of leaked Jaguar shots...it occured after the WWDC last year...and Apple didn't do a thing. Probably 'cause it was building a lot of hype...maybe Apple will take a similar approach to Panther.

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
Why would Panther have the purple iTunes icon? If the screenshot was genuine, it would have had iTunes with the green music note.

Hack.

As for the Flash Piles Preview, I've received a lot of comments about it. I agree that the vertical expansion, in retrospect, is probably not the right way to go. In line partially with the Panther screenshots and news of a rotary button on a new mouse, I think that perhaps a pile could "expand" into a rotary collection of documents that could then be "dialed" through. Kind of like the Dock, but wrapped around a spiral (instead of straight at the edge of a screen). In 3D, this would look kind of like a corkscrew on a top-down view. It would give the Pile infinite depth without using up any extra screen real-estate, although it would be a bit of a pain to scroll from, say, the 3rd document to the 85th... who knows?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: Panther Screens Fake?

Originally posted by jholzner
Well, actually, I remember TONS and TONS of leaked Jaguar shots...it occured after the WWDC last year...and Apple didn't do a thing. Probably 'cause it was building a lot of hype...maybe Apple will take a similar approach to Panther.

well - the horse was out of the barn at that point. they had already publically previewed it.

but, point taken

arn

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Re: Purple iTunes

Originally posted by reedm007
Yep, iTunes was purple just 4 days ago.

Um, do you have some kind of pre-release thing going on, or are you in your own time zone? No matter how I do the math, even at the extreme edge of the "next day", only 3 days have passed, more like 2 for those of us in the western hemisphere. I'm just wondering where the extra day came into play?

reedm007

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2002
Well, iTunes *was* purple 4 days ago... :)

You're right, it was also purple 3 days ago it appears.. I gotta work on my timing! Today's only Wednesday, huh?

DeusOmnis

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I'm taking the position that Apple intentionally leaked the photos. They're too... Apple like in nature. The dock seemed pretty big. No real personalized stuff. You know what i'm talking about?

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Originally posted by DeusOmnis
I'm taking the position that Apple intentionally leaked the photos. They're too... Apple like in nature. The dock seemed pretty big. No real personalized stuff. You know what i'm talking about?

Come to my office and you'll see bunches of macs without any personalization. All you have to do is make a new user and log in. Back to basics, with your whacked out, hopped up on caffeine system still there, waiting for you to log in.

Works well for fixing system bugs, too.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I'd be curious to know how the screen shots were made, if they are fake. Were they photoshoped, or was a false application made that made it look like it was a new OS.

couch

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2003
questions ???

hi folks !

unfortunately i don't have OS X, as i am working on an old g3 (300 mhz) and people say it is to slow for os x. so i can't compare the screenshots of the panthermenue to "proven" screenshots from a "real" system.

but i saw the scrennshots and i have to questions. see my pics.

1) see the 3 menue items. in every item the first word is "New" and the next word is beginning with a letter that has a vertical line: "File","Folder", and "Pile".
The words File and Folder of the first two items are exactly left alignend. But the word Pile is shifted one pixel to the right. Is this possible in the "real" system or is it a evidence of possible fake?

2) see the pattern of grey lines on the background of the menue.
it is a regular pattern. same distances of lines.
in the highlighted menue item this pattern is "not right" (sorry for my english - i am german).
there also is a shift of one pixel.

maybe i am totaly wrong - maybe not!

your comments, please !

couch

Attachments

• panter_fake1.gif
    panter_fake1.gif
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,396

couch

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2003
here is pic 2

here is pic 2

Attachments

• panter_fake2.gif
    panter_fake2.gif
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,383

sedarby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Dallas, TX
Re: questions ???

Originally posted by couch
hi folks !

unfortunately i don't have OS X, as i am working on an old g3 (300 mhz) and people say it is to slow for os x. so i can't compare the screenshots of the panthermenue to "proven" screenshots from a "real" system.

but i saw the scrennshots and i have to questions. see my pics.

1) see the 3 menue items. in every item the first word is "New" and the next word is beginning with a letter that has a vertical line: "File","Folder", and "Pile".
The words File and Folder of the first two items are exactly left alignend. But the word Pile is shifted one pixel to the right. Is this possible in the "real" system or is it a evidence of possible fake?

2) see the pattern of grey lines on the background of the menue.
it is a regular pattern. same distances of lines.
in the highlighted menue item this pattern is "not right" (sorry for my english - i am german).
there also is a shift of one pixel.

maybe i am totaly wrong - maybe not!

your comments, please !

couch

Bollocks! I use OS X - Jaguar on a Rev A iMac thats 233 mhz of G3 power. You just have to up the memory a bit (384 MB at the moment) and add a fast larger hard drive. I am so sick of people thinking they need a 1GHZ G4 to even use OS X! I even use Classic and it works just fine. Admittedly there is a bit of waiting here and there but it is very usable.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by rdas7
Why would Panther have the purple iTunes icon? If the screenshot was genuine, it would have had iTunes with the green music note.

Hack.

While these pictures are most likely fake, I don't think this constitutes as evidence. Remember iTunes 4 was not released when these screenshots came out. As with previous builds of OS X, usually noncritical parts (iApps, QT, and such) of the install were updated as they were publicly. It's happened before, so I don't see it as a way to discredit it.

couch

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2003
Re: Re: questions ???

Originally posted by sedarby
Bollocks! I use OS X - Jaguar on a Rev A iMac thats 233 mhz of G3 power. You just have to up the memory a bit (384 MB at the moment) and add a fast larger hard drive. I am so sick of people thinking they need a 1GHZ G4 to even use OS X! I even use Classic and it works just fine. Admittedly there is a bit of waiting here and there but it is very usable.

Hmm, my harddisk is making "funny" noises since some days. Maybe I should buy a new one and just try OS X on my Mac.

Thanx for the tip !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.