Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethan101

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
does any one have any big problems with a glossy screen? other then a little glare?

Ethan

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Search the other posts for extensive results, but for the record, I have had both a glossy and a matte MBP and I far prefer the glossy. It's easier to clean and I (personally) find it much sharper. Cheers, Tom

gcdrwhom

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
the ATL
Yes, as noted in another thread, ethan's new.

Anyways. The glossy vs. matte seems to be one of these religious-type debates. People have very strong opinions, and nobody's really right except for their own special case.

If you can at all go see a matte and glossy screened MBP for yourself, then do so.

ethan101

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
thanks

thanks for the help guys i searched and had no idea this was as big of a topic.

it looks like it is all personal preference

i will be looking at a few in store to decide

Ethan

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
if you do any graphic work that depends on accurate colors, get a glossy

I've always read the opposite of that :)

I don't have my glossy MBP yet (tomorrow :D) but I've had a glossy Sony for two years and I love it.

topgun072003

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
thanks for the help guys i searched and had no idea this was as big of a topic.

it looks like it is all personal preference

i will be looking at a few in store to decide

Ethan

Wow...searching helped him out a lot! It would have taken us 5-7 pages to normally come to that conclusion. Nice....oh btw..everything is a big topic on these boards.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
My friend has the Matte and I have the glossy and man does my screen look so much more vibrant... That said I'm sure his has more accurate colors if I was to be doing photoshop and crap. But I'm not and my DVD's look awesome. I love my glossy except there are a few times, usually rarely, that I end up in the one location with all halogen lights and I am kinda screwed. I mean you fall into to the screen once you get absorbed, but it can get in the annoying if you are easily bother by stuff like that. Otherwise it is just awesome.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Oh another FYI I've read that if you calibrate you glossy screen with one of those 150+ screen calibrators its almost exactly as accurate as the matte... Only found a few reports stating it but they seemed legit. I think from arstechnia or some one like that.

But I'm a video editor and color is important to me. I however got glossy for one reason. Who seriously is a professional editor and only edits using a 17" screen. Maybe when on a field shoot and you want a ruff cut in real time or something, but most editors get back home/office and they sit down to their 24" dell/apple monitor that is matte and wonderfully accurate. Plus most editors have a TV monitor as well hooked up to the compute to see what it would look like on a regular TV so... seems kinda like a dumb decision to go with a matte screen...

Irish Dave

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
The Emerald Isle
Oh another FYI I've read that if you calibrate you glossy screen with one of those 150+ screen calibrators its almost exactly as accurate as the matte... Only found a few reports stating it but they seemed legit. I think from arstechnia or some one like that.

But I'm a video editor and color is important to me. I however got glossy for one reason. Who seriously is a professional editor and only edits using a 17" screen. Maybe when on a field shoot and you want a ruff cut in real time or something, but most editors get back home/office and they sit down to their 24" dell/apple monitor that is matte and wonderfully accurate. Plus most editors have a TV monitor as well hooked up to the compute to see what it would look like on a regular TV so... seems kinda like a dumb decision to go with a matte screen...

A lot of graphic designers, Photoshop users and Video editors still swear by the CRT monitors and they are glossy not matte.

I calibrate my MB with the Spyder Pro 2 and find the results first rate. I am a Photoshop freak (I also teach digital imaging)

Glossy definitely rules ...... OK

Dave :)

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
A lot of graphic designers, Photoshop users and Video editors still swear by the CRT monitors and they are glossy not matte.

I calibrate my MB with the Spyder Pro 2 and find the results first rate. I am a Photoshop freak (I also teach digital imaging)

Glossy definitely rules ...... OK

But isn't CRT completely different than LCD meaning CRT does not equal LCD Glossy? Just curious

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Somebody please lock this thread.

I acctually enjoy this thread over the others... Most of the others have become an extremely heated debate where no one is finding factual information out but just getting flamed for the personal preference...

Irish Dave

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
The Emerald Isle
But isn't CRT completely different than LCD meaning CRT does not equal LCD Glossy? Just curious
Absolutely, they produce their images in totally different ways, but the fact is that the bit you look at on both CRT and LCD monitors is smooth and glossy.

Higher contrast etc, etc.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I originally had a MBP without the glossy screen. Apple replaced my system and this time I went with glossy. I didn't regret it. While the difference isn't dramatic, I actually did a side by side comparison, the glossy screen is nice. and the glare factor? For me its minor at best. But YMMV. It very much is a personal opinion. If you can I would recommend going into an Apple store or a store that carries Macs and take a look at one. Its the only way to be sure.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
As long as Apple keeps it as an option (and doesn't charge more one way or the other, I'm cool.)

Personally, I don't prefer the glossy option. I find that while the colors look more vibrant the glare (or what glare there is) is distracting to me. My laptop is my primary personal computer (read: not for at work). I want to keep my computing experience as universal as possible and since I'm looking at a matte LCD here at work, I want to look at a matte LCD at home.

It all comes down to preference, though. Compare them both, which you sound like you will. :) And like I said earlier, I think it'd good that there's an option for which screen to include. As long as there is an option to choose and it doesn't end up costing more (for matte :) ).

nautisch

macrumors member
May 31, 2006
I originally had a MBP without the glossy screen. Apple replaced my system and this time I went with glossy. I didn't regret it. While the difference isn't dramatic, I actually did a side by side comparison, the glossy screen is nice. and the glare factor? For me its minor at best. But YMMV. It very much is a personal opinion. If you can I would recommend going into an Apple store or a store that carries Macs and take a look at one. Its the only way to be sure.

hey there, i currently have some issues with whining, an almost dead right speaker and the fact that i cannot boot if the battery is below 50% (just stays dead) and i therefor am going to replace it (bought it july 06)

what do i do if, while doing that, ask apple to exchange the matte to a glossy display? ( or does that only work in those two weeks after the purchase?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.