Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peeInMyPantz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Hi,
anyone has any idea where i can use trackpad to replace 'mouse gesture' in firefox, without using a mouse?

I switched from windows recently, and I've been using mouse gesture on firefox by holding the right click and dragging the mouse. when I switch over to macbook, I have to press the ctrl button while clicking the trackpad button and make my gesture. that's 2 buttons! and it's extremely difficult with one hand.

so i tried to configure it to hold left click instead while doing a gesture. It works. but I can't highlight text anymore. So I have to enable the function to press Alt whenever I want to disable 'mouse gesture'. This definitely saves me time because I use mouse gesture more than anything else in firefox.

The problem is.. in gmail, I can't click on most links unless i hold down Alt. This is extremely annoying. Anyone with a better solution? I was trying sidetrack 1.4.1 but the drivers didn't load for me, even after I restarted many times

Nightkrawler

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Vienna, Austria
Map the mouse gestures to the right mouse button and be sure to enable the two finger rightclick.
In forefox click and hold with both fingers on the tochpad, press the mouse button under the touchpad and let go the two fingers on the touchpad. keep holding the mouse button and make the gesture on the mousepad.
sounds way harder than it is if you get used to it :D

peeInMyPantz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Map the mouse gestures to the right mouse button and be sure to enable the two finger rightclick.
In forefox click and hold with both fingers on the tochpad, press the mouse button under the touchpad and let go the two fingers on the touchpad. keep holding the mouse button and make the gesture on the mousepad.
sounds way harder than it is if you get used to it :D
thanx.. i'll try that out when I get home later...
sounds really difficult.. did you discover it yourself? or it's well documented?

Nightkrawler

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Vienna, Austria
I figured it out by myself. I cant really describe it easy :eek:.
maybe its easier this way:
1. Click and hold on the touchpad with 2 fingers
2. Press and hold the mousebutton, and stop holding the pad
3. Draw the gesture with one finger on the touchpad and stop pressing the mousebutton.
I love mouse gestures, just cant stop using them

peeInMyPantz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
I figured it out by myself. I cant really describe it easy :eek:.
maybe its easier this way:
1. Click and hold on the touchpad with 2 fingers
2. Press and hold the mousebutton, and stop holding the pad
3. Draw the gesture with one finger on the touchpad and stop pressing the mousebutton.
I love mouse gestures, just cant stop using them

still confusing... ok.. let's take it this way... call it the touchpad and touchpadbutton

1. hit the touchpad with 2 fingers and hold it there
2. press and hold the touchpadbutton (while the 2 fingers are still on the touchpad), then let go of the 2 fingers on the touchpad
3. start gesturing with one finger on the touchpad (at this point, I should still be holding down the toucpadbutton, but i can lift it up when i start gesturing)

am i right??

Nightkrawler

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Vienna, Austria
1 and 2 is right
3. lift the finger of the touchpadbutton if you are done drawing the gesture. (keep pressing the touchpadbutton while you are drawing the gesture)
I really hope i could help :)
BTW im using the "All in one" mouse gesture plugin for firefox, but im pretty sure that it works with other gesture plugins for firefox.

peeInMyPantz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
1 and 2 is right
3. lift the finger of the touchpadbutton if you are done drawing the gesture. (keep pressing the touchpadbutton while you are drawing the gesture)
I really hope i could help :)
BTW im using the "All in one" mouse gesture plugin for firefox, but im pretty sure that it works with other gesture plugins for firefox.
me too.. i'm using all-in-one. thanx for clarifying

*edit*
thanx.. it works perfectly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.