Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
The 60GB HD on my 12" Powerbook is threatening to die on me so I'm thinking now would be a good time to do the harddrive upgrade that I've been putting off for a while. Can anyone offer any advice as to where/how to find a compatible HD for my machine? Will any 2.5" drive work, or does it have to be made specifically for Mac? I found this one, for example, that looked good:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822149058

If anyone can offer suggestions on this drive or on something better it would be much appreciated.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
any 2.5" ATA-6 hard drive will work in the 12" powerbook...the one you linked to is SATA and will not work. installing hard drives in the 12" is fairly difficult (i did it last night), you may want to look into getting it installed by a professional (such as macservice.com, i've had them do some work and they are great). if you find a local place, you can buy a hard drive and bring it to them and simply have them install it. but beware that they don't try to make you pay for more labor than the actual job (don't pay for more than one hour of labor).

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I replaced the HD in my boyfriend's 12" PowerBook about a year ago, when the computer started to hang a lot and the SMART status failed. Fortunately, we were able to back everything up to my PowerMac before it totally went.

I wouldn't go so far to say it was a difficult job...maybe a little tedious, yes, but it really wasn't that hard once I mustered up the courage to pop the aluminum shell off (probably the most nerve-wracking moment). There were lots of different screws, each one smaller than the one before. I used a ice cube tray to hold them all and keep them organized. Following directions online, it took a couple hours. Might be kinda fun, if you feel competent and like to tinker a little bit.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Thanks for the tips and links. Now that you mention it I did know that there was a difference between ATA and SATA. I just forgot about it.
It's tempting to try the installation myself, but I use this computer for my work and I can't afford for anything to happen to it!
I'll check out some of those links and probably just bring it in to someplace local to have the installation done.
If only those rumored 12" MBP's would come out soon I wouldn't have to go to all this trouble... ;)

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
probably the most difficult thing was pulling out the two connectors through the upper case...but yeah, getting it done some place is pretty simple. the website that i suggested earlier has a very fast turn around.

i definitely agree about the 12" MBP...that'd be sweet :D

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
i had a 12inch powerbook I just got a black macbook pro as a gift. I have to say its a great machine and the screen is wonderful.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
If you use iFixit you should get great instructions on how to replace it and it evens gives you pictures you can print out.

recordprod

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
My 12" Powerbook 1.33GHz hard drive packed up on me last week, no warning at all. After tearing my hair out trying all manner of fixes I knew it was hopeless and have lost a fair amount of data. I'll do weekly rather than monthly backups from now on.

On the up side, I got a MacBook C2D and so did the wife, mine's Black and the other is white :) Now to get the PB drive changed...

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.