Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 7, 2006, 01:28 PM   #1
frozencarbonite
macrumors 6502

Playing music through Powerbook to mixer ?

I'm going to be djaying (I'm using the term very, very loosely ) some events for my church and want to use my Powerbook to play the music through a sound system. I'll be running it to a mixer first and then to 2 monitors.

Has anyone ever do this? If so, what will I need to configure on my Powerbook to do this? Or will I be able to just hook up the cables and play music from iTunes?

I will be looking at the actual mixer this coming Sunday to see what type of cables I'll need. Hopefully I can find the right kind.

Thanks for any help you can give.
frozencarbonite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 05:26 PM   #2
jimijay
macrumors newbie

This is simple-- You play the audio from iTunes out the headphone jack.
I'd start with iTunes volume slider all the way up and system volume at about 3/4. You want to send a decent signal but not too much for distortion. I'd lay off the EQ inside of iTunes and handle it on the board.

Radio Shack will be your best bet for cabling/adapters. I'll give you a few options:

1) 1/8" male stereo mini ---->RCA male plugs (LEFT and RIGHT channels, usually the colors are red and white or red and black) this is available as a cable in different lengths but not too long, good if the laptop will be next to the mixer.

Cable: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

2) If you need to send the signal over 10 ft:
1/8" male stereo mini to 2, 1/4" female adapter ----> 2, 1/4" cables (guitar cables) ---->2 direct boxes ----> XLR (microphone) cables to the snake or direct to mixer.

Adapter: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Last edited by jimijay; Dec 7, 2006 at 05:29 PM. Reason: forgot something
jimijay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 02:00 PM   #3
frozencarbonite
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijay View Post
This is simple-- You play the audio from iTunes out the headphone jack.
I'd start with iTunes volume slider all the way up and system volume at about 3/4. You want to send a decent signal but not too much for distortion. I'd lay off the EQ inside of iTunes and handle it on the board.

Radio Shack will be your best bet for cabling/adapters. I'll give you a few options:

1) 1/8" male stereo mini ---->RCA male plugs (LEFT and RIGHT channels, usually the colors are red and white or red and black) this is available as a cable in different lengths but not too long, good if the laptop will be next to the mixer.

Cable: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

2) If you need to send the signal over 10 ft:
1/8" male stereo mini to 2, 1/4" female adapter ----> 2, 1/4" cables (guitar cables) ---->2 direct boxes ----> XLR (microphone) cables to the snake or direct to mixer.

Adapter: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
Thanks so much for your help.
frozencarbonite is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs