Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 7, 2006, 03:07 PM   #1
MykullMyerz
macrumors 6502

Are there any music subscription services available for Mac OS X?

Hello, I am a new Mac user. Just transferred from using a PC. On my PC I subscribed to AOL Music Now, but I can no longer use it unless I install Windows on my mac and I don't want to do that. I was wondering are there any music subscription services similiar to AOL Music Now or Yahoo Music that is compatible with Mac OS X?
MykullMyerz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 03:10 PM   #2
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Google brought up this but it's from 2002.

http://www.osxfaq.com/press/01-31-02/music-01-31-02.ws

Couldn't find out on Musicmatch.com if they still do OS X or not.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 03:31 PM   #3
pianoman
macrumors 68000

i don't think Musicmatch is doing anything with Apple anymore. the only reason they had that, if i recall correctly, was because pre-iTunes for Windows, you had to use Musicmatch to sync your iPod (rather awkwardly, too).
pianoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 03:32 PM   #4
Flowbee
macrumors 68030

The only one I know of is eMusic. However, it's not an "all you can download subscription." You pay a monthly subscription price for a set number of song downloads, which you then own. The upside is that they don't expire if you end your subscription, and there's no DRM involved.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 03:38 PM   #5
balamw

Rhapsody http://www.rhapsody.com works on Mac and Linux via their Web interface...

B
Old Dec 7, 2006, 03:39 PM   #6
lmalave
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lmalave Send a message via MSN to lmalave Send a message via Yahoo to lmalave Send a message via Skype™ to lmalave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowbee View Post
The only one I know of is eMusic. However, it's not an "all you can download subscription." You pay a monthly subscription price for a set number of song downloads, which you then own. The upside is that they don't expire if you end your subscription, and there's no DRM involved.
Plus the music selection isn't the same as the other services, right? Isn't it mostly independent labels and not the major labels?

I would really, really like for the Rhapsody desktop client to be ported to OS X. It's not only the best subscription service, it's the best music software. I actually thought it beat iTunes hands down. The customizable radio station features are AWESOME.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 03:42 PM   #7
lmalave
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lmalave Send a message via MSN to lmalave Send a message via Yahoo to lmalave Send a message via Skype™ to lmalave
Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
Rhapsody http://www.rhapsody.com works on Mac and Linux via their Web interface...

B
Sorry, doesn't count

I really don't see the point of the web interface - it's so crippled.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 03:49 PM   #8
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmalave View Post
Sorry, doesn't count

I really don't see the point of the web interface - it's so crippled.
I just have the free Rhapsody 25, which is pretty crippling in itself.

B
Old Dec 7, 2006, 06:00 PM   #9
Flowbee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Plus the music selection isn't the same as the other services, right? Isn't it mostly independent labels and not the major labels?
That's true, but it's surprising how much good stuff you can find there. Before buying anything on iTunes, I always check eMusic first. For example, Prototypes (whose song "Who's Gonna Sing" is on the new iPod shuffle commercial) have their album on iTunes for $10. On eMusic it works out to $4.20.

Anyway, it's not anything like what MykullMyerz was looking for, so I'll shut up now.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:00 AM   #10
failsafe1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I would really, really like for the Rhapsody desktop client to be ported to OS X. It's not only the best subscription service, it's the best music software. I actually thought it beat iTunes hands down. The customizable radio station features are AWESOME.
I just bought a SE W810i and got 50 free downloads from eMusic. I thought great 50 free songs are gravy. I had the hardest time finding anything I wanted. Most artists I searched for were simply Kareoke versions of the songs. If I found a song it seemed to be an obscure live version. I downloaded my 50 after much searching but canceled my trail subscription the same day I joined. I will stick with iTunes!
failsafe1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store