Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I enjoy answering posts with Zero replies because I can be sure that no one has answered the question being asked. Sometimes I come across posts with 3 or 4 replies but none of them have answered the question being asked. Most of the time I skip the posts with 3 or 4 replies because I assume they have been answered and to save my self the sake of loading a thread that has been answered thoroughly.

Any way to install a way that the OP can make a thread ANSWERED and have that show up in the forums? Therefore I (and others) can avoid re-answering or wasting our time viewing an answered question.

Cheers,
Slack

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
There is only 1 post here so I thought I would post, but only so as to keep it under GimmeSlack12's 4 reply rule; I clearly have no answer to this question.:D I would like to add my support to this request though, it would be a nice feature. I assume this would be a flag only the individual user could see since I am sure there would be a great deal of debate as to whether some questions had in fact been "answered"?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The OP could just edit their thread title to include "SOLVED" or something like that, but that would require a change in the culture of the forums in order to make it the standard behavior. I don't know if there's a convenient way to make it just a button click.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
The OP could just edit their thread title to include "SOLVED" or something like that, but that would require a change in the culture of the forums in order to make it the standard behavior. I don't know if there's a convenient way to make it just a button click.

That's a start I suppose. I mean if everyone began doing that I think it would catch on pretty well. I think I might go set up some questions and try this method.

Further down the road perhaps something can be implemented into the PHP of the forums (or whatever the source of it is).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I agree. At the moment I do a blanket search of threads with two or less posts in them and as a rule, most of them haven't been solved. It would be much easier if there was a checkbox or something that could be ticked by the thread starter in response to whether the thread had been solved. Then, if it was incorporated into the search feature, we'd be set. I've got no idea if vBulletin has these capabilities though. :eek:

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
I agree. At the moment I do a blanket search of threads with two or less posts in them and as a rule, most of them haven't been solved. It would be much easier if there was a checkbox or something that could be ticked by the thread starter in response to whether the thread had been solved. Then, if it was incorporated into the search feature, we'd be set. I've got no idea if vBulletin has these capabilities though. :eek:

i like the checkbox idea more than the OP posting "SOLVED" in the thread. i think the latter would encourage inflation of posts, which i am against as i think members in the forums should work hard to earn their rankings which denote a certain level of knowledge/participation. if all "members" become "6502"s because of this inflation, i think that would be damaging to the community.

i don't know if this made any sense - i'm tired because i had to be up earlier than usual for work. hopefully someone understands what my point is.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
i like the checkbox idea more than the OP posting "SOLVED" in the thread. i think the latter would encourage inflation of posts, which i am against as i think members in the forums should work hard to earn their rankings which denote a certain level of knowledge/participation. if all "members" become "6502"s because of this inflation, i think that would be damaging to the community.

A post saying "SOLVED" is pointless...other people would still have to click on the thread in order to see it. I was advocating editing the original thread title to include "SOLVED" at the end. I agree that a checkbox/icon of some sort would be better and easier, but I have no idea whether that's in vBulletin's arsenal...the "SOLVED" suggestions can be implemented now with no changes to vBulletin changes needed.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
A post saying "SOLVED" is pointless...other people would still have to click on the thread in order to see it. I was advocating editing the original thread title to include "SOLVED" at the end. I agree that a checkbox/icon of some sort would be better and easier, but I have no idea whether that's in vBulletin's arsenal...the "SOLVED" suggestions can be implemented now with no changes to vBulletin changes needed.

sorry i misread your original post, WildCowboy - i see now you said the thread title and not the thread. this is a good idea. for now, mad jew's solution of searching for threads with a minimal number of posts will have to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.