Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the litle fish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
I am a first time owner of an apple product and I have heard/read rumors about this 802 card. How do I find out if my Macbook pro has it I went into the AirPort Card Information. And this is what I got.

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x86)
Wireless Card Locale: USA
Wireless Card Firmware Version: 0.1.27
Current Wireless Network: wireless network not available

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

The little fish

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Hi, I am not 100% sure but I think that only the MacBook Pro with the Core 2 Duo processors have the 'n' card. I am sure that you will be able to buy an ExpressCard 34 that supports the 'n' standard.

inf

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
C2D Macbook Pros have the n-card installed, but OS X only recognizes it to be g-standard card. In Windows you can get it to recognize as n-card.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
its not a full on n-card. It is draft, which means its kinda like a "beta". It's already been confirmed with an actual picture of the logic board, there's an n-draft chip inside.

the litle fish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Location of info for duo core?

thanks for the info so far guys I just checked all of my hardware contents in "About This Mac" and could not find a reference. Would anyone know where this info would be listed/ thanks in advance.

TWEO

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2006
thanks for the info so far guys I just checked all of my hardware contents in "About This Mac" and could not find a reference. Would anyone know where this info would be listed/ thanks in advance.

You can only see it if you install windows on it using Boot Camp. OSX recognizes it as an 802.11g card and there is no way to tell if it really is 'just' an 802.11g card or if it's secretly a 802.11 draft-n card.

But if you know whether you have a Core Duo or a Core 2 Duo processor you also know which kind of card you've got in there.

Selenolycus

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I am a first time owner of an apple product and I have heard/read rumors about this 802 card. How do I find out if my Macbook pro has it I went into the AirPort Card Information. And this is what I got.

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x86)
Wireless Card Locale: USA
Wireless Card Firmware Version: 0.1.27
Current Wireless Network: wireless network not available

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

The little fish

Apple Logo -> About This Mac

To the right or Processor, where X is a variable, if X Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, you have an a Draft-N card.

If it is X Ghz Intel Core Duo, you do not have a Draft-N card.

I think, anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.