Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Mar 1, 2002, 11:26 AM   #1
Pants
macrumors regular

open GL - gf4 is a waste of money in an Apple?

I dont know if anyone is interested, but theres a short discussion of d3 vs open GL over at slashdot in the developers section. (http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/02/26/1930230)
somebody makes the following point:-
"- OpenGL is cross platform: But support on the Mac SUCKS!! Apple, in their infinite stupidity, decided that extensions that don't work on the Rage 128 wouldn't be supported. So, people buying those $4000 macs with GeForce4 TI cards can be happy with the fact games that are written to use new fangled features like vertex and pixel shaders will never work on the Mac. This may change when DOOM III is released, but I doubt before then. Even support for anti-aliasing would be nice."

this is something that has got up my nose for a while - after all, i feel that buying a 400 vid card, and getting 80s worth of its features is poor economics.
Pants is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion