Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
London
I can't wait! I love these machines. I found a Snow iMac G3 for £30 (around $55). Specs are:

600MHZ G3, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage Ultra 16MB VGA, 20GB HDD, CD-ROM

It has no mouse or keyboard or power cable, but comes with OS X Panther on it.

I already have a MacBook at home which I love but I really love the old iMacs and wanna do lots of things with this machine, primarily using it as my home computer.

I've got hold of an Apple Pro Mouse (White), just need to find a keyboard that matches and I'm up and away :)

What sorts of things do people recommend with these machines, I mean its one off the 700MHz top noch iMac G3 that was ever released so its not the slowest iMac out there and it has a good amount of RAM for Panther...

Can I load any of the software from the CD's I have on my MacBook (iLife etc?)

I'm guessing Appleworks and stuff will be good on it too...and iChat videoconferencing meets the minimum specs right?

I welcome any ideas.

Thanks

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
iLife should work just fine, and so should those other apps.

I myself have one of the first iMac G3's, Bondi Blue. I would LOVE to use it as my main computer, but I'd need to upgrade the RAM and the OS, and hard drive, etc. And I don't trust myself with my own computer. You'll love that thing even more once it has all your fav apps on it!

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
London
iLife should work just fine, and so should those other apps.

I myself have one of the first iMac G3's, Bondi Blue. I would LOVE to use it as my main computer, but I'd need to upgrade the RAM and the OS, and hard drive, etc. And I don't trust myself with my own computer. You'll love that thing even more once it has all your fav apps on it!

Yeah, I owned a G3 iMac for about two weeks only as I had to really sell it on to make a bit of money (u/g the Hard Drive and Memory and sold it for £80 more, making a good £50 :) ). However, this time this baby is mine to keep. The first one I had about a year ago was a iMac DV with 400MHz CPU, 320MB RAM and only 8MB VRAM. I am the Snow should run Panther noticably faster than the other iMac I had owned.

The only hope I have is that Leopard will be supported on this machine as I will be getting Leopard next year anyway for my MacBook and any future Macs I get...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.