Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:05 PM   #1
lazydog
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to lazydog
Powerbook problems with memory slots

Hi I was wondering if anyone has some advice they can give me.

I can't be sure when but it seems like ever since I upgraded to 10.4.8 I've had problems with my Powerbook memory slots. I've had it configured with 2 X 512MB for over two years without problems but now only 1 memory slot works. I figured I must have the dreaded lower memory slot problem that seems to have plagued a lot of Powerbooks. So I looked at some threads on the subject.

However I'm not entirely convinced this is my problem because I can take the memory out and put just 1 stick in and the Powerbook will work without problems regardless of which memory slot I use! In other words both memory slots work. I've gone through all the permutations of slots and memory sticks. The problem only happens when I use both memory slots.

So I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions? In the mean time I'm going to buy a 1 GB memory module as working with 512MB is way too slow. But it would be nice to use one of my other 512MB modules at the same time.

thanks

b e n
lazydog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 03:53 PM   #2
panzer06
macrumors 68030

Any Power problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazydog View Post

I can't be sure when but it seems like ever since I upgraded to 10.4.8 I've had problems with my Powerbook memory slots. I've had it configured with 2 X 512MB for over two years without problems but now only 1 memory slot works. I figured I must have the dreaded lower memory slot problem that seems to have plagued a lot of Powerbooks. So I looked at some threads on the subject.

However I'm not entirely convinced this is my problem because I can take the memory out and put just 1 stick in and the Powerbook will work without problems regardless of which memory slot I use! In other words both memory slots work. I've gone through all the permutations of slots and memory sticks. The problem only happens when I use both memory slots.

So I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions? In the mean time I'm going to buy a 1 GB memory module as working with 512MB is way too slow. But it would be nice to use one of my other 512MB modules at the same time.

thanks

b e n
Lightning strikes and power surges can cause very strange issues. We recently had this happen and on a GBe switch we would only have a problem if we populated all the ports. using any combination of the ports leaving at least one empty worked fine. The problem only started after the lightning strike. Other items were not so lucky. 2 UPS devices and one a dsl/cable router failed altogether.

Do you have some old memory to try? 2x256 perhaps? If so, see if you can recreate the problem with memory not in use whenever the problem began.

Best wishes,
Old Dec 11, 2006, 03:58 PM   #3
danny_w
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazydog View Post

thanks

b e n
This has been reported by many who have the lower memory slot failure - 1 (either) slot by itself will work, and sometimes both slots will work if you leave the memory door (cover) off (it may be heat). Some people say that after chaning out both RAM modules and closing the door, that both slots will be recognized at first boot and then the lower slot will disappear. I had mine fixed by Apple under the recall and the problem has not resurfaced (so far). I always mek sure that I am on AC power, rebooted with nothing else running, and all external drives disconnected before doing any kind of OS updates; many have reported that the this helps.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 04:04 PM   #4
caveman_uk

There is an acknowledged problem with certain powerbooks

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303173
caveman_uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs