Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elbowgeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Hi all, I'm a new member here and really think this is a cool forum.

I've been given (!) a G5 iMac which is practically brand new. It's only problem is that it suffers from the sudden shut off issue which seems to plague the G5 thanks to a faulty Power Supply and some caps on the mobo which get taken out by the PS.

I've replace the power supply, but can't afford to get the mobo fixed, and since neither Apple nor any of the alternative operating system makers such as Linux will be supporting this system into the future, I figure that the hardware is essentially orphaned.

I'd dearly like to use the screen though, as it's in great shape and is a beautiful display. So, my question is, can the internal screen be connected to an external source such as the video card of another computer? It would be great to use it for my music production machine.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. In the meantime I'm going to have a look around inside this beast and see what I can do.

Cheers

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Um... an iMac G5 is hardly "orphaned" - they will be supporting it well well into the future. Where did you get the idea that they were not?

elbowgeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
My apologies, I really meant that my particular one, with it's inability to run OS/X, is kinda orphaned. It will run Linux, but actually only Linux isn't likely to be supported on this platform into the future.

I'd love to get it running with OS/X again, but it would be impractical to do the fix, (a new mobo) from here in Bermuda. I'd hate to see this go to waste, so I figure I'd hack the video so at least the screen would be usable.

Cheers

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Have you contacted Apple re: the motherboard / capacitor problem? You really want to see if you can be covered under an extended warranty on this. Sad to say, your local Apple reseller may not have all the information --- and certainly none of the authority --- to give you this information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.