Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 10, 2006, 09:24 AM   #1
cynerjist
macrumors regular

Warranty question for MBP purchased on e-bay

I looked around for a post on this but couldn't find an exact answer.

I purchased a brandnew C2D MBP on e-bay. The only receipt I got for it is from PayPal, which I used to pay. I registered the serial number on Apple's site and it showed a purchase date of Nov. 22 while I received it Wednesday, Dec. 6.

I don't care about the difference in days there, but will I be able to obtain warranty service (should I need it) with a PayPal receipt? Does it matter if a reseller is "authorized" or not?

P.S. I read the entire Apple warrant ( http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...-post1997.html ) and didn't see anything specific mentioned. Thanks
cynerjist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 09:27 AM   #2
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

I bought a Mini on eBay, nearly new, and when I asked Apple, they said take it in. I took it to an Apple Authorised Service Provider, they just looked up the serial number, verified that the computer was sold in the previous month, and treated it as under guarantee, no questions asked. It's the age of the machine, not the possession of a receipt, that qualifies it.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 09:27 AM   #3
ChickenSwartz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynerjist View Post
I looked around for a post on this but couldn't find an exact answer.

I purchased a brandnew C2D MBP on e-bay. The only receipt I got for it is from PayPal, which I used to pay. I registered the serial number on Apple's site and it showed a purchase date of Nov. 22 while I received it Wednesday, Dec. 6.

I don't care about the difference in days there, but will I be able to obtain warranty service (should I need it) with a PayPal receipt? Does it matter if a reseller is "authorized" or not?
I don't think you necessarily have to have a receipt for warranty service. They know when they sold it and that is what matters. Of course if it comes up as damaged or stolen, then the warranty would be void, but other than that I think you should be OK.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 09:44 AM   #4
cynerjist
macrumors regular

That's great news. Thanks for the responses. I should've thought about this ahead of time.
cynerjist is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro