Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynerjist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
I looked around for a post on this but couldn't find an exact answer.

I purchased a brandnew C2D MBP on e-bay. The only receipt I got for it is from PayPal, which I used to pay. I registered the serial number on Apple's site and it showed a purchase date of Nov. 22 while I received it Wednesday, Dec. 6.

I don't care about the difference in days there, but will I be able to obtain warranty service (should I need it) with a PayPal receipt? Does it matter if a reseller is "authorized" or not?

P.S. I read the entire Apple warrant ( http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/wty-post1997.html ) and didn't see anything specific mentioned. Thanks

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I bought a Mini on eBay, nearly new, and when I asked Apple, they said take it in. I took it to an Apple Authorised Service Provider, they just looked up the serial number, verified that the computer was sold in the previous month, and treated it as under guarantee, no questions asked. It's the age of the machine, not the possession of a receipt, that qualifies it.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
I looked around for a post on this but couldn't find an exact answer.

I purchased a brandnew C2D MBP on e-bay. The only receipt I got for it is from PayPal, which I used to pay. I registered the serial number on Apple's site and it showed a purchase date of Nov. 22 while I received it Wednesday, Dec. 6.

I don't care about the difference in days there, but will I be able to obtain warranty service (should I need it) with a PayPal receipt? Does it matter if a reseller is "authorized" or not?

I don't think you necessarily have to have a receipt for warranty service. They know when they sold it and that is what matters. Of course if it comes up as damaged or stolen, then the warranty would be void, but other than that I think you should be OK.

cynerjist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
That's great news. Thanks for the responses. I should've thought about this ahead of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.