Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 10, 2006, 02:16 PM   #1
luminosity
macrumors 65816

quandry with ibook

i currently have a 12 inch 1.33 ibook, which i got in january (knowing full well that new stuff was coming, including the MBP), and i've always been pleased with it.

however, i currently have a problem with the power brick, which has bad fraying near the part that hooks into the ibook. the inner wire is clearly visible, and may not be too far away from coming completely off (either the shell or the wire itself).

a replacement is $80. coupled with a very much used battery (though i'm still eligible for a free replacement, due to the recall), i'm wondering how much sense it makes to invest in a replacement, or whether i should think about a macbook. a replacement power brick would be a tenth of what i paid for the ibook, which is not an inconsiderable amount.

is that crazy, or sensible?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 02:24 PM   #2
pianoman
macrumors 68000

all of this depends on how frayed the wire actually is and when you think it might break off, how long you think you'll want the iBook, and whether you can afford a new machine.

certainly replacing the battery and power brick would last a good while longer (hopefully) but are you going to be investing money in a dying machine that you're not going to want a year from now?

i would say if you planned to upgrade to a MB in the near future, this is only more reason to do so sooner rather than later.

remember, though, $80 is significantly less than $1099.
pianoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 02:25 PM   #3
4JNA
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietmind View Post
a replacement is $80. coupled with a very much used battery (though i'm still eligible for a free replacement, due to the recall)
a new from apple replacement might be $80, but you can find a used in good shape replacement for half that. watch the marketplace forum here, or the marketplace forum at MacNN. i just bought one new in the box for $45 shipped. and with a free battery for the asking, can't see the point in getting rid of the ibook just yet.

unless you just want a macbook... i'd say you win either way.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 02:48 PM   #4
YS2003
macrumors 68020

So, you are thinking about getting MB because of your iBook's power brick and battery are aging? I think it's a drastic way to deal with the problems you are having with accessories. I think you would see a noticeable speed bump by moving up to MB from iBook. I have sold my iBook a few weeks ago.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs