Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:49 PM   #1
ookxtreme
macrumors newbie

17" 2mhz MBP or 17"1.67mhz powerbook

money not the factor just for this discussion.....

i'm upgrading the "ole powerbook Ti 800mhz" which has served me well for that last few years... but i realy want to upgrade so i can run FiCutStudio and want the 17" display.....

I hate the "intel" label; however, should i get the IC2duo? or just stick with purchasing a 1.67mhz 17" PB for final cut pro....

cheers for any insight you can give me!!
ookxtreme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:54 PM   #2
gr8tfly
macrumors 603

Gonna have to learn to live with Intel in a Mac, I'm afraid... Takes some getting used to, but it's worth it.

I just upgraded from 17" PBG4 1.67GHz to 17" C2D MBP. It's MUCH faster, to put it mildly. I know there was literally a 4x speed difference between the PB and a CD MBP, and I expect even more on this (haven't done same video encode test yet, but the 4x speed was at top of Apples benchmarks before, so I wouldn't be surprised if this really does get towards the 7x claimed). Also, this runs noticeably cooler than the PBG4, even when stressed.

I should be running FCE this week and I'm very much looking forward to it.
gr8tfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:00 PM   #3
agentphish
macrumors 65816

intel.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:08 PM   #4
ookxtreme
macrumors newbie

UUGGHhh i was afraid of that.....

it was interesting when i first started with the simple iMovie a few years back.... i was amazed at how much better it was to do video on the mac... i grew up with mac in the late 80's in high school and loved them ever since.... always heard they were great with video... but a few years back started getting into it..... i had a "dell" laptop that was supposed to be clocked at 1.8mhz and could barely work with a any video file..... i got my Ti 800mhz off ebay a few years back and BAMMMM..... ran circles around the dell to say the least.... so i can't wait to upgrade to a new PB/MBP!! just hat the Intel name....

platform to platform... has anyone heard what the differnce is with the apple chip compaired to the one they use say in the HP/Dell/compaq etc???

apple has always cornered the market because of there superior video/photograph programs.... i just hate to think someone with a piece of junk Dell with the same chip in it can do the same thing i can do with the apple!!

CHEERS AGAIN TO ALL!!
ookxtreme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:20 PM   #5
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

The people with Dells don't have all of the OS X software tools at their disposal.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 01:27 AM   #6
gr8tfly
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookxtreme View Post
..... i had a "dell" laptop that was supposed to be clocked at 1.8mhz and could barely work with a any video file..... i got my Ti 800mhz off ebay a few years back and BAMMMM..... ran circles around the dell to say the least.... so i can't wait to upgrade to a new PB/MBP!! just hat the Intel name....
For a while, the G4's were faster than what was available in PC notebooks. But, even before the Core Duos came out, the G4 started to lag. Core Duos and especially Core 2 Duos are in a different league than the older Centrino/Pentium chips.

The MBP chipset is pretty much the same as other [non-Apple] C2D machines use. But, they don't have OS-X
gr8tfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 03:03 AM   #7
NewSc2
macrumors 65816

Intel actually makes really good chips. There's a reason why Apple's using them now, and it's because they're far superior than the G4/G5's of IBM.

Anyway, go look at some benchmarks between Intel and G4. I've never paid much attention to video benchmarks, but I'm sure they're just like audio benchmarks. My lowly CD Macbook runs circles around my old 17" Powerbook for Logic Pro. Something like the tune of 300-400% more plugins
NewSc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 03:58 AM   #8
Balli
macrumors 6502

Location: Earth > Europe > United Kindom > England > London > Waterloo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookxtreme View Post
money not the factor just for this discussion.....

i'm upgrading the "ole powerbook Ti 800mhz" which has served me well for that last few years... but i realy want to upgrade so i can run FiCutStudio and want the 17" display.....

I hate the "intel" label; however, should i get the IC2duo? or just stick with purchasing a 1.67mhz 17" PB for final cut pro....

cheers for any insight you can give me!!
I hope you mean Ghz, NOT Mhz... LOL.
Balli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 05:51 AM   #9
dextertangocci
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to dextertangocci
Get the Intel MBP. I promise you you will love it. It is vastly superior to the PBG4
dextertangocci is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs