Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest build of Leopard (9A321) released yesterday introduces a new feature that has not been described by Apple as a new feature in Mac OS X 10.5's iChat.

answeringichat.jpg

The new iChat answering preference tab allows users to record a Video greeting to serve as an answering message when users are away from their desk. The caller may then leave a message. At this time, there only appears to be partial functionality implemented.

The ability to record video-clips has previously been suggested as a tie in to the iPhone to provide a "call ahead" feature.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Kinda stinks. I like iChat but I use AdiumX simply because I hate having two IM programs open when one will do. I hope AdiumX can use these features although I'm doubting so. Or maybe all my friends should get Macs? :D

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Looks pretty nice. iChat has really turned inferior to MSN, and could need a bump.It's awesome and all, but until it supports MSN, no way I'm gonna use it. I'd gladly have Leopard delayed till may if this could be a new feature:D (MSN support for new better iChat...):rolleyes:

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Looks pretty nice. iChat has really turned inferior to MSN, and could need a bump.It's awesome and all, but until it supports MSN, no way I'm gonna use it. I'd gladly have Leopard delayed till may if this could be a new feature:D (MSN support for new better iChat...):rolleyes:

I am pretty sure MSN support will require Microsoft's cooperation. Also, is MSN really that popular. Most people I know are on AOL or Yahoo. I know one person that is on MSN.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
I am pretty sure MSN support will require Microsoft's cooperation. Also, is MSN really that popular. Most people I know are on AOL or Yahoo. I know one person that is on MSN.

Reversed here. I know one person on AIM...:D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
This isn't a bad idea in theory, but I feel that iChat as a whole needs to be reworked and improved for functionality like this to be really useful. Here's hoping we see a revamped iChat as part of Leopard as well. :cool:

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Love it!

I think this is a great new feature. My home Mac is in my home office, which is the back room of my house, and I often don't notice when someone's trying to get ahold of me. The answering machine concept is an easy one for most people to grasp.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
This would be awesome if it can send those messages to my .Mac mail or even as a voice mail to my phone. But then again, they could just CALL ME.

I'm also looking forward to iChat comparing to Adium. I hate having to open up iChat every time someone wants to send me a file or do a video chat.

Fishes,
narco.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I think an iChat answering machine is nice and all.... but only becomes really useful if an iPhone is introduced that can make calls to iChat'ers.

arn

jmbear

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2006
Mexico
All of my friends from Mexico use MSN, all of my friends from the US use AIM. I wish iChat was compatible with MSN, that would be cool. The video greeting is a cool feature but just another whistle in iChat, not really that useful I think. I am excited about the call forward thing though...

JME120

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2006
Brilliant !!!

This is a great great idea, I saw something similar from Cox communications, but it never really took off, as someone mentioned tight it to Iphone and you get a winning product.
Overall Ichat video is very good , but it does need some interface rework, (anyone who as seen MS Communicator 2007 , it is not bad at all)

Cheers to Apple engineers, keep the good work

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Aha!!!

WICKED!

It seems that my predictions are coming to fruition.
(check a few of my last posts on what the iPhone is capable of https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/3104042/)

> I see THIS feature working well over Verizon or Cingular's highspeed data wireless network along with the iPhone.

Video calling and Video VoiceVideoMail (VVM) to your Mac or .Mac account.

BTW, ScotiaMcLeod Mutual fund company here in Canada raised their initial $90CAN forecast from earlier this year to $110/stock!!! :eek:

I just saw this moments ago on CityPulse24!!

berniemac

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2006
Everyone I know uses Google Talk (partially because I told them to try it out). It's nice that it works with iChat but it would be even nicer to see voice support and eventually video.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Might as well simplify your life and drop having both a wireless and a home phone. Fuse them using VOIP and an iPhone. Apple could be pushing into a new realm for telecommunications as well...

Mobility151990

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2006
i live in the uk and all my friends at college use MSN not one uses AIM, so thats 200+ people with MSN. Lol so while the feature is cool it is totally useless to me, i will never ever use iChat until they bring in msn support..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.