Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 13, 2006, 02:33 PM   #1
sdhalpern
macrumors newbie

PowerBook DVI --> component HDTV?

Hey guys,
I just bought an HDTV LCD with component input for HDTV capabilities (no HDMI or DVI input). It's max resolution is 740p or 1080i. I also have a 1.5 GHz 15" PowerBook G4 with DVI output. I am hoping to find a way to output my DVI signal into the component (Red, Green, Blue) input on my TV. Is there a way to do this?
sdhalpern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 02:50 PM   #2
dejo

Yeah, you just need to get a DVI-to-component adapter, similar to this:
http://www.svideo.com/hdtvaiwr8500.html

By the way, maximum resolution is not expressed as 720p or 1080i. It would be 1280x720. Or 1920x1080. Or something like that.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 03:48 PM   #3
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
Yeah, you just need to get a DVI-to-component adapter, similar to this:
http://www.svideo.com/hdtvaiwr8500.html

By the way, maximum resolution is not expressed as 720p or 1080i. It would be 1280x720. Or 1920x1080. Or something like that.

Will that device actually work? I'm not up on the Powerbook's specs, so I don't know if it's got an ATI card. $30 seems pretty cheap as I remember reading about DVI to component converters costing well above $100.

ft
ftaok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 03:59 PM   #4
sdhalpern
macrumors newbie

technically it should work.. My powerbook has a 128MB ATI mobility radeon 9700, and the radeon 9700 series is on the compatibility list for this adapter.. the only thing im worried about is whether it is mac compatible, or does that not even matter here?
sdhalpern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 01:09 AM   #5
thebeephaha
macrumors 6502

I wonder if that would work on the X1600?
Old Dec 15, 2006, 02:16 AM   #6
dejo

I was just giving an example and didn't intend for it to seem to be specific to ATI. Sorry.
Here's another example:
http://sewelldirect.com/dvivideoadapter.asp
Or another:
http://sewelldirect.com/gefen-dvi-to-dvi-component.asp
Just Google "DVI component adapter".
Old Dec 25, 2006, 12:41 AM   #7
thebeephaha
macrumors 6502

Can anyone confirm or deny if these will work on a MBP?
Old Dec 25, 2006, 01:26 PM   #8
Joony
macrumors regular

What kind of LCD HDTV doesn't have DVI or HDMI?

What model is it?
Joony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 06:46 PM   #9
jtown
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhalpern View Post
Hey guys,
I just bought an HDTV LCD with component input for HDTV capabilities (no HDMI or DVI input).
Not to sound like a smug know-it-all, but are you absolutely positive there's no HDMI or DVI input? I can't imagine any manufacturer putting out an HD LCD panel without that. What is the make/model?

If it really doesn't have those inputs, I suggest you take it back and get one that does. You can get 720p (1366x768) panels with proper inputs for as little as $400. There's no reason to settle for one that's missing a critical input.
jtown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 05:00 PM   #10
thebeephaha
macrumors 6502

My Viewsonic N2060W doesn't have a DVI or HDMI, its normally in the $500 range, however I got mine for right at $300 after tax.

It has a VGA, but.. VGA sucks and component is higher quality than VGA.

Which is why for me and the original poster, we really need to know if those adapters work or not.

For me, I'm using a MacBook Pro, but it really just has to be compatible with the X1600 series.

Thanks all.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 05:34 PM   #11
jtown
macrumors 6502

Component is not going to be better than VGA for hooking up to a computer. You will get the best quality picture (with that monitor) using a VGA adapter. In fact, according to the MacBook Pro's spec sheet (for the current model), it was shipped with the adapter you need. Just use that. You're not going to get better quality using component. If the image quality is poor, try going through the calibration procedure.
jtown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 02:28 AM   #12
Xeem
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joony View Post
What kind of LCD HDTV doesn't have DVI or HDMI?

What model is it?
I'm curious about this as well. I don't know that I've seen a recent LCD HDTV that lacks HDMI, DVI, and VGA inputs.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:10 AM   #13
fishkorp
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeephaha View Post
Can anyone confirm or deny if these will work on a MBP?
i haven't found a DVD->component adapter yet that works on the MBP. My TV has HDMI, so it's not a big deal, but I wanted to see the difference with component to free up one of the HDMI ports to use with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray should I go that route (other input is being used by the cable box). I get no signal at all on the TV using any adapters I found. Luckily I bought from places with nice return policies and no restocking fees. Apparently the firmware in the Mac x1600 is different and these types of adapters will not work with them.
fishkorp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:21 AM   #14
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeem View Post
I'm curious about this as well. I don't know that I've seen a recent LCD HDTV that lacks HDMI, DVI, and VGA inputs.
They exist... the really cheap discount ones (e.g. TigerDirect) tend to have just component. The mostly cheap discount ones (e.g. Walmart) tend to have component and HDMI but no VGA or DVI. Mine is in the slightly cheap category and has composite, component, s-vid, VGA, and HDMI, but no DVI. Which isn't such a loss, since DVI <-> HDMI conversions are easy.

But anyway, yeah, in order of preference, it goes loosely like this:

HDMI = DVI > VGA > Component > S-vid > Composite.

HDMI has slight convenience advantages over DVI; VGA just supports lots of resolution and timing features... the TV is more likely to let the computer steer to native resolution using VGA than component.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs