Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c23roo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2004
I have some rather large video files on my old Dell desktop (still running - well, running is a a strong word... - Win ME when I ditched it last year), and I want to get these files onto my PowerMac G5 Quad, as the HD is large enough to store such items...

My question is this: Is there a way for me to hook up the two computers such that I can 'see' the PC as, say, a separate hard drive - and then just drag-and-drop? What's the best/easiest way to do this stuff?

Thanks,

C

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I would remove the HD from the Dell and put it into the PowerMac, then you'll have 2 hard drives and your files will be accessible. Otherwise, try networking the two machines together. There is a guide about it in the guides section.

c23roo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2004
Thx

Thanks.

Having horrible flashbacks starting up the old PC. And the more I'm working on this, the more I want to throw it out the window, lost data be damned...

Could not be any more frustrating... Tempted to transfer everything piece by piece on my 2GB jump drive... Ugh, one more reminder why I switched.

- C

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
I have some rather large video files on my old Dell desktop (still running - well, running is a a strong word... - Win ME when I ditched it last year), and I want to get these files onto my PowerMac G5 Quad, as the HD is large enough to store such items...

My question is this: Is there a way for me to hook up the two computers such that I can 'see' the PC as, say, a separate hard drive - and then just drag-and-drop? What's the best/easiest way to do this stuff?

Thanks,

C

I agree with the other writer. Simply stick the Hard Drive from the PC machine on the Mac. I just did this in the exact same situation (old PC). I used a Wiebetech IDE to Firewire adapter (http://wiebetech.com/products/ComboDock.php) to connect the IDE drive to the Mac and once mounted all the files were readable by my Mac. The Wiebetch Combo is very good for using cheap IDE drives and is well worth having anyway. Otherwise just connect the IDE drive internally assuming you have IDE cables not SATA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.