Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ducksrfr

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Austin, TX
i'm having some old school os 8/9 crashes -- everything just freezes up. no kernal panic screen, i can't move the mouse, the keyboard doesn't even respond so i can't apple-ctrl-pwr to reboot, i have to hold down the power button to shut it off.

this is the second time it has happened in the past 2 weeks. any ideas?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What recent changes have you made to your system? Do you have plenty of free space available? What sort of third party hardware (including RAM) do you have? :)

ducksrfr

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Austin, TX
i have 70 of 80 GBs of hard disk space free. i added 512 MB of owc RAM in early october, but haven't had any odd symptoms until last thursday.

Hockeypuck

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Try removing that new RAM and see if it goes away. You might have ended up with a bad stick.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, I agree. Even though RAM can act normally when first purchased, a bad stick can sometimes take a while to actually start playing up. The only real way to test it is to run the machine with the stick removed for a while to see if problems persist. The software-based RAM tests are useless.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Yeah, I agree. Even though RAM can act normally when first purchased, a bad stick can sometimes take a while to actually start playing up. The only real way to test it is to run the machine with the stick removed for a while to see if problems persist. The software-based RAM tests are useless.

It can act fine when it's cold and then act up after it's warmed up too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.