Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:56 PM   #1
supermario19
macrumors member

Add usb 2 or firewire to G3 iMac?

Is there any possible way to add usb 2.0 or firewire to my slot loading G3 iMac 350mhz? I would just rather use my iPod with my mac and usb 1 takes forever to put songs on it. I haven't been able to find anything and as far as I know there is no place for expansion cards, so I'm probably just gonna hear a no back on this one. But if anyone has any ideas let me know.
supermario19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:10 AM   #2
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

eBay, buy iMac DV
eBay, sell iMac 350

There was at one point a Sonnet iMac CPU upgrade card that had firewire, but I don;t remember which iMac it was for and it was like $450
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:13 AM   #3
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario19 View Post
Is there any possible way to add usb 2.0 or firewire to my slot loading G3 iMac 350mhz? I would just rather use my iPod with my mac and usb 1 takes forever to put songs on it. I haven't been able to find anything and as far as I know there is no place for expansion cards, so I'm probably just gonna hear a no back on this one. But if anyone has any ideas let me know.
What iPod do you have, the latest ones can only work with USB so you'd need to find a Mac with USB 2.0.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 02:07 AM   #4
supermario19
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles View Post
What iPod do you have, the latest ones can only work with USB so you'd need to find a Mac with USB 2.0.
Ya thats exactly what I'm looking for. I've got the old iPod shuffle so I don't even think it works with firewire at all.

Does the iMac DV have usb 2.0? i wasn't able to find that out so far, just that it has two usb ports.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 02:17 AM   #5
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Does the iMac DV have usb 2.0? i wasn't able to find that out so far, just that it has two usb ports.
The old shuffles don't need usb 2.0 as far as I recall using one with a 667 Tibook VGA (non DVI machine).

I think you will be fine with an old iMac G3. I sold my sonnet upgrade card called the "Harmoni"... look on eBay or around for one cheap if that's what you are determined to do. Personally, I'd settle for an iMac 400, 450, or 500mhz tht you can pick up cheap and sell the old one.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:08 PM   #6
supermario19
macrumors member

I know it doesn't need usb 2.0, as I have used it fine on this mac before, I just hate how long it takes. And that was with a 512 shuffle, I have a 1g shuffle now and I don't feel like taking that long to put songs on it. Does the harmoni upgrade have usb 2.0 on it, and will it actually work on my iMac? I thought I read somewhere that the one I have can't be upgraded.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 04:06 AM   #7
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I know it doesn't need usb 2.0, as I have used it fine on this mac before, I just hate how long it takes. And that was with a 512 shuffle, I have a 1g shuffle now and I don't feel like taking that long to put songs on it. Does the harmoni upgrade have usb 2.0 on it, and will it actually work on my iMac? I thought I read somewhere that the one I have can't be upgraded.
Oops. I thought you had a tray loader. Don't know what to say, didn't seem to be that much of a hassle when I used an old Tibook with 1.0 usb with my 1gb shuffle.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 09:06 AM   #8
nitynate
macrumors 6502a

USB.

'Nuff said.
nitynate is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs