Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:36 AM   #1
nomadix
macrumors regular

can I record into my MAC from outside - MINIdisc

Howdy folks:

Is possible to record from outside source - Mini disc ( digital ) or satelite radio - into my MAC

cheers thanks
nomadix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:47 AM   #2
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

Many MiniDiscs do NOT have a digital output - you can record through the analog stereo line or mic inputs any stereo source that matches the proper levels (these levels vary depending on which Mac)

In order to record digitally, you have to have a digital source with a TOSLINK optical output, and a Mac that has an Optical input. Otherwise, you can buy USB and FIrewire interfaces with ADAT optical, S/PDIF stereo inputs, Tascam TDIF 8 track digital connectors and AES/EBU connectors, depending on the source of the signal and how much money you can spend.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 01:04 AM   #3
nomadix
macrumors regular

Cheers thanks:

And interesting that Mini DISC's did very well in Canada but here in the US they are not well known

Thanks again for the input/ info
nomadix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 07:08 AM   #4
Sesshi
Banned

I use the Sony MZ-RH1 to record onto Minidisc.

You can upload recordings you make onto the RH1 to a Mac via USB. Older 'standard' MD's need Boot Camp/Windows to launch Sonicstage, but they can also be uploaded via USB. It also works as (very slow) USB data storage.
Sesshi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 08:04 AM   #5
annk
Administrator

I may be oversimplifying this, but if you're trying to take something you've already recorded on your Minidisc and record it to your Mac's harddisk, then I would say you can do this in real time by simply using a standard cord with two small jacks from the headset output on the Minidisc, to the line in on your Mac. Then you can use a free app like Audacity to record, and can export the file (for instance to mp3).

In my experience, you can do this fine with a Powerbook, but if you have a Mac Mini, you'll need something like the Griffin iMic. The input from the Minidisc then plugs into the mic port of the iMic (the iMic is USB).

Or did I completely misunderstand the question??
annk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help