Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:16 PM   #1
Kayden
macrumors newbie

Interesting G3 question.

I recently purchased a 2610SA sata raid controller. Its a 64bit PCI card. I also have a b&w 400mhz G3 that I got from work because it has 3 64-bit PCI slots. I was wondering if there was any way at all to use aforementioned raid card in the G3. Its running OSX. I'm not sure what version as its password locked and I'm in the middle of tracking down an install disk to boot up and remove the password.

This brings up a few other questions. Firstly, I know you have to hold C to boot off of a CD, however, does it have to be an Apple brand keyboard? I only have USB keyboards built for windows (windows key on them), is that an issue?

Additionally, if it was not possible to use the raid controller with OSX, would it be possible to use it if I installed some flavor of Linux on it?

I don't know much about Macs and thought this would be a great opportunity to not only learn more about them, but to also get a nice file server running on my network.
Kayden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:46 PM   #2
crazzyeddie
macrumors 68030

1) It depends if the RAID controller has an OS X driver or is recognized automatically. Even if it works for storage, it will probably not be bootable unless it is natively recognized.

2) I believe the B&W can use a USB keyboard for startup commands. It was the first Mac to have Firewire and USB built-in, and I know there were some limitations, but I can't remember what off the top of my head.

3) Probably.

4) The B&W will make a great file server if you can get that RAID controller working. I believe it has a 10/100 card in it, so you're all set (I think a gigabit PCI card would actually be slower... it would over-saturate the PCI bus).
iPhone 5 Black
crazzyeddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 11:26 PM   #3
dpaanlka
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to dpaanlka
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but what do the Windows key on PC keyboards do when it's connected to a Mac? And how do you hit command?

Every keyboard I own has an Apple logo on it.

EDIT: Oh yes, also that B&W G3 was the last computer to have ADB. If you want pure keyboarding pleasure, you may consider picking up an Apple Extended Keyboard II on eBay - some always pop up for like $2.

For reference, it's the keyboard in this picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	keyboard.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	64131

Last edited by dpaanlka; Dec 14, 2006 at 11:40 PM.
dpaanlka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 06:26 AM   #4
SmurfBoxMasta
macrumors 65816

Location: If you come into the forest really late at night, I might tell you...or nOt :)

1) That card is an Adaptec SCSI windows controller. Unless you can find a pc-to-mac rom flasher, plus OS X drivers for it (doubtful) AND have some SCSI drives (mucho expensive) to connect to it, I'd say you are SOL

Adeptec does make some mac cards, and the drivers for the 29.xx, 30.xx, 39.xx and 78.xx series of cards are built into OS X.

2) I used to boot a B&W from cd's using a USB M$ KB all the time, notta problemo !
Old Dec 15, 2006, 09:22 PM   #5
Kayden
macrumors newbie

Actually, its a SATA raid card.

Thanks for all your input guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfBoxMasta View Post
1) That card is an Adaptec SCSI windows controller. Unless you can find a pc-to-mac rom flasher, plus OS X drivers for it (doubtful) AND have some SCSI drives (mucho expensive) to connect to it, I'd say you are SOL

Adeptec does make some mac cards, and the drivers for the 29.xx, 30.xx, 39.xx and 78.xx series of cards are built into OS X.

2) I used to boot a B&W from cd's using a USB M$ KB all the time, notta problemo !
Kayden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 09:24 PM   #6
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaanlka View Post
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but what do the Windows key on PC keyboards do when it's connected to a Mac? And how do you hit command?
Windows acts as Command.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:17 PM   #7
4JNA
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaanlka View Post
.. what do the Windows key on PC keyboards do when it's connected to a Mac? And how do you hit command?
actually the windows key is the 'alt option' key on a mac keyboard.

and to hit command when using a windows keyboard, you use the windows 'alt' key... as in 'alt-shift-4' to bring up the cross hair for a screen capture.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs