Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Dec 15, 2006, 04:36 AM   #1
SkS
macrumors newbie

Write to Text-file in Xcode (noob)

Hi
I dont know alot about programming i only know a little about Visual Basic Express and this is Xcode stuff.....

I have looked at the codes from Bruji's barcode scanner at http://www.bruji.com/cocoa/barcode.html and i now the barcodes is beeing written to a text windows inside the app but i want the app to write the Barcode to a text file on my harddisk.

If iam right the following codes add the Barcode to the Text window inside the application:

- (void)gotBarcode:(NSString *)barcode {
[resultsTextView replaceCharactersInRange:NSMakeRange([[resultsTextView string] length] ,0) withString:barcode];
[resultsTextView replaceCharactersInRange:NSMakeRange([[resultsTextView string] length],0) withString:@"\n"];

Hope you can help me, thanks
- SKS
SkS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:41 PM   #2
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

I think what you want is something like this:

Code:
[barcode writeToFile:@"/file.txt" atomically:YES];
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 03:24 AM   #3
Soulstorm
macrumors 68000

the barcode is an NSString. So, you can open the developer documentation in your XCode and search the NSString class explanation. In there you will find ways to write an NSString to a file, loading an NSString from a file, and many more.
Soulstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 09:30 AM   #4
garethlewis2
macrumors 6502

Before you really get yourself into a pickle, buy the following books

Programming in Objective-C by Stephen Cochan
Programming Cocoa by Aaron Hillegrass. <Hyped but good, glosses over controllers>
Cocoa - Anguish, et al. The def book on understanding Cocoa from a programmers point of view, very very heavy, but worth it. Only downside is, it is based on Jaguar code.

Without that grounding, you will always always get stuck.

For your question. Look at the docmentation for NSFileHandle and NSFileManager. These aren't the only ways, but they are conveniant and better. safe.
garethlewis2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:32 PM   #5
sikosis
macrumors newbie

Pity writeToFile is deprecated ...
sikosis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:51 PM   #6
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikosis View Post
Pity writeToFile is deprecated ...
As the docs say:
Quote:
Use writeToFile:atomically:encoding:error: instead.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:05 PM   #7
sikosis
macrumors newbie

Ah worked it out ... you need to add a couple of extra params.

Quote:
- (BOOL)writeToFile:(NSString *)path atomically:(BOOL)useAuxiliaryFile encoding:(NSStringEncoding)enc error:(NSError **)error
@kainjow ... yep that's it -- guess I should have refreshed this page first before replying :)

Last edited by kainjow; Sep 22, 2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: merged posts
sikosis is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming