Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:43 AM   #1
Xenesis
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Xenesis Send a message via MSN to Xenesis
Most pain free way to host a phpbb on my iMac running Tiger? I need help with mySQL!

Basically, I want to set up a phpBB test forum to run on my own iMac as a test for modifications and updates for my live forums (Link 1 and Link 2.

Now, I had a system set up on my old iBook (Which was running 10.3), and it took me practically a whole weekend to get setup, and I still don't know how I did it, plus I had no idea how to insert my database that was online into my local one for further testing.

So basically, I figure I need these:

Personal Web sharing set up and on
php4 running
A connectable mySQL server running on my machine.
An install of phpBB in my PWS folder

Now, SQL is a strange and mystifying technology to me. I am not hugely familiar with it beyond using it to dump SQL data backups from the forum and running the odd SQL command via phpMyAdmin to enhance the DB for modding purposes.

I seem to have 1,2 and 4 done okay. The forum software itself appears to be working from my web browser. However, I honestly have no idea how to get 3 done properly or how to get my phpbb to connect to it (despite that the SQL Panel in System Prefs tells me that it's running. I installed the 4.1 mySQL binary for Intel off the official MySQL site...

So how exactly do I set up mySQL so I can connect to it from my locally hosted phpBB install, as well as inserting all the data from my forum online? Step by step instructions if you can.

Or, if anyone has a tried and tested simple way to set it up, feel free to tell me.

Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited by Xenesis; Dec 15, 2006 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Made title more descriptive.
Xenesis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 04:34 PM   #2
mwpeters8182
macrumors 6502

mysql (http://www.mysql.org) provides a package for OS X, which I believe includes the server, as well as a System prefs pane to start/stop it. The documentation is pretty straightforward as to get it up and running as well.

MP
Old Dec 15, 2006, 07:07 PM   #3
eva01
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eva01 Send a message via MSN to eva01 Send a message via Yahoo to eva01
running phpbb on anything is painful, try a different forum software.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 02:20 AM   #4
tominated
macrumors 68000

try using an app called mamp. it sets up mysql and php really easily.
tominated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 02:25 AM   #5
OutThere
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva01 View Post
running phpbb on anything is painful, try a different forum software.
From the looks of his live boards he seems to be rather well established to change software...
Old Dec 16, 2006, 05:04 AM   #6
AmbitiousLemon
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to AmbitiousLemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutThere View Post
From the looks of his live boards he seems to be rather well established to change software...
There are conversion scripts for pretty much all alternatives. And I agree that running phpBB is a recipe for disaster. Nearly as bad as using Windows. People just check your version number and then they have a dozen different ways to take over your server - or at least cause you some pain.

There are almost always published standing bugs that "A remote attacker could gain administrative access to the bulletin board, read or delete arbitrary files on the server, or conduct cross-site scripting, SQL injection, or PHP injection attacks."

Currently this is the case (published bugs that allow people to take over your server). And if you are a couple updates behind things just get worse.

Last edited by AmbitiousLemon; Dec 16, 2006 at 05:15 AM.
AmbitiousLemon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 05:36 PM   #7
superbovine
macrumors 68030

All you need (almost). You might need xcode installed, but the page will explain it all.

http://www.entropy.ch/software/MacOSx/mysql/
superbovine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 04:14 AM   #8
Xenesis
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Xenesis Send a message via MSN to Xenesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominated View Post
try using an app called mamp. it sets up mysql and php really easily.
Thank you! That thing is a DREAM.

@Everyone else.

The reason I use phpbb? Well, it's pretty simple. When I founded warsworldnews, I didn't have enough money to get a VBulletin or an Invision Power Board. Simple Machines forums at the time were probably still a pipe dream. I was well aware of the risks when I installed it, but to date, the only problems I've had are spambot issues. I make local backups bi-weekly and my host backs up the SQL database daily.

Plus it currently integrates with the Mediawiki system we're intending to set up. Not to mention it was incredibly easy to mod the forum to remove all trace of post counts from the community (Communities I run have absolutely no post counts. They're just a source of drama and ego and no community needs them).

And with a setup on my local machine, It means I can test setting up, altering and administering other forum types before I mess with the live forums. Not to mention I can modify my current install and test the results.

Last edited by Xenesis; Dec 17, 2006 at 04:28 AM.
Xenesis is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming