Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 3, 2003, 11:35 PM   #1
iPat
macrumors member

Question about my hot 12" powerbook

So I know people have already discussed the very warm 12" PowerBooks. What I haven't seen are comments about actual CPU temp and the effect of this on CPU longevity. I know the aluminium is an excellent conductor (only took a minor in chemistry to figure that out ) and that the machine is blowing off a lot of heat through the case (a good thing). My questions are is the G4 really getting hotter in the small case or is the case just a better conductor so it seem like the processors is hotter? Would this same set up with an insulating case made of plastic result in a normal warm (but not hot to the touch) case or does this G4 just produce too much heat for the case size? Lastly, how is this going to effect longevity?

One thing that has shocked me is that the case is such a good conductor that it only takes a few mins of full CPU usage to get hot. Also, it needs just a few mins after the fan comes on (still under full CPU usage) for the case to cool significantly (in other words this computer is very good at blowing off heat through the case). I would certainly be willing to deal with the warmer than normal case if it meant a cooler than normal CPU and increased lifespan.

Last edited by iPat; May 3, 2003 at 11:41 PM.
iPat is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers