Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 16, 2006, 04:01 PM   #1
Coolnat2004
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to Coolnat2004 Send a message via AIM to Coolnat2004 Send a message via MSN to Coolnat2004 Send a message via Yahoo to Coolnat2004 Send a message via Skype™ to Coolnat2004
Build Quality of PowerBook/iBook AC Adapters

Why do my PowerBook power adapters keep breaking? The adapter that came with my computer wore down at the computer end from bending back and forth over one year. It left me with a section of exposed wire that eventually created a spark (luckily I was there when it happened).

It didn't work after that, so I looked for a new one. They are EIGHTY DOLLARS to buy. Just a power adapter.. So I got on eBay and bought an older one in good condition that was compatible.

The one I got on eBay just stopped working. Currently I am relying on my brother to charge my batteries while I am at school so that I can continue using my computer.

Why are these adapters of such a bad quality? I've read reviews online saying that they are poorly designed for durability. This is a laptop, so the power adapter is going to be moved around A LOT. Doesn't Apple get that?

To give them credit, the new MagSafe adapters for MacBooks look to me to be better, but that doesn't help me with my PowerBook..

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 16, 2006, 04:14 PM   #2
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

I've had three portables...my two newest ones (2 and 2.5 years old) have had no problems whatsoever. My oldest one finally gave out (same sparking issue) after 5+ years of use. I picked up a replacement from someone here on MacRumors for $5+shipping. You obviously would have a hard time finding a deal like that for a newer adapter, but you should be able to find something.

I don't know what else to say...my only personal experience shows the adapters to last at least five years if you treat them well. That could change with my other adapters, but (knock on wood) so far so good.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs