Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
So, recently (as of thursday or so) my PBG4 has been making weird buzzing noises, usually only when it was working hard (or watching things online). Eventually, as it got closer to the weekend, the noise started to get louder whenever it would come on, so I'd just turn off my computer for an hour or so and let it cool. Finally, today, I turn it off again and now whenever I turn it back on, all I get is the gray start up screen, sans spinner. Sometimes I even get a little folder with the mac face on it. What's wrong?

I pray to God it's not totally dead. If I can even harness all my files from it, I'll be fine.

Rein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Well, if it's fried, do you still think I could get my files off somehow?

I knew I should of backed up more often...

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
k

well theres a theory that might work first try with software disk/disk warrior rescue via target disk mode (press apple + t at start-up while connected to another mac via firewire) then try getting at ur hd and putting it in the freezer this might just work enough to get your data off ! google it if ur not sure !!

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Los Angeles
put it in the freezer.. When all else fails you have nothing to lose.. I've never tried it.. but you never know

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I put my dead hd in a plastic bag n the freezer for a while and it worked then totally... died.

It was under Toshiba's three year non oem warranty so...

new hard drive and old files saved.

Remember -- the hdrives fail. They are mechanical things with moving parts. And apple doesn't make 'em. They all eventually fail.

Heads up for the era of all flash drive hard drives...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.