Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 17, 2006, 06:25 PM   #1
JasperJohnSon
macrumors newbie

Disk Image - .dmg ? How to install?

Hi,

I'm a newish Mac user and still getting a little confused about things. Besides not fully understanding exactly what a .dmg file is, I'm confused about how to install an application from one.

So, I download an FTP manager and it plops onto my desktop as a .dmg file. When I double click, then the application appears in the Finder, at which time I click the executable and the application runs.

What I don't get is how I actually install it. It doesn't seem like it's installed, since everytime I run it, I have to re-activate the .dmg.

These are probably really dumb questions, and I'm not even sure if I'm using the right terms, but any tips would really help me out.

Thanks.
JasperJohnSon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 06:36 PM   #2
robbieduncan

A Disk Image is simply a file that acts like a disk. When you double click on it the disk is mounted (like when you put a CD in the drive). Mac software is clever. It can normally run from wherever it is, without needing installation. If you want to "install" the software just drag it from the Disk Image to the Applications folder (or anywhere else you want to keep it). That's all there is to it.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 06:42 PM   #3
BuzWeaver
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to BuzWeaver Send a message via MSN to BuzWeaver Send a message via Yahoo to BuzWeaver
I know what you mean Jasper, its been quite a change for me too. I have a tendency to over complicate the process as I'm typically in a PC frame of mind, it doesn't take long to get the hang of it, see if this is of any help:

http://www.kamu.ch/switch/index.php?page=art&artid=4

The post on this site have been a huge help for me.
BuzWeaver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 07:21 PM   #4
JasperJohnSon
macrumors newbie

Thanks!

That makes some sense now. And helpful link too.
JasperJohnSon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help