Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasperJohnSon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Hi,

I'm a newish Mac user and still getting a little confused about things. Besides not fully understanding exactly what a .dmg file is, I'm confused about how to install an application from one.

So, I download an FTP manager and it plops onto my desktop as a .dmg file. When I double click, then the application appears in the Finder, at which time I click the executable and the application runs.

What I don't get is how I actually install it. It doesn't seem like it's installed, since everytime I run it, I have to re-activate the .dmg.

These are probably really dumb questions, and I'm not even sure if I'm using the right terms, but any tips would really help me out.

Thanks.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
A Disk Image is simply a file that acts like a disk. When you double click on it the disk is mounted (like when you put a CD in the drive). Mac software is clever. It can normally run from wherever it is, without needing installation. If you want to "install" the software just drag it from the Disk Image to the Applications folder (or anywhere else you want to keep it). That's all there is to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.