Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:00 PM   #1
acoustics940
macrumors member

To buy a g4 ibook ?

I will be buying a notebook next month for college and keeping my desktop at home it takes up way to much room and is a pain. I have been looking around and think I want a mac most pc laptops I have seen get old and shabby looking within a year and slow down to horrible speeds so. I have a friend who has a mac I am not quite sure what kind but its almunimum and extremely small with only like 100 something mb a 800 mhz and 35 gb hd I think. I was extremely impressed by how fast it ran even after 3 years for such low speed cpu and low memory. I will be using it for usual school work microsoft office internet music burning things and about and hour a day or less some warcraft 3/ starcraft. I have been looking at the g4 ibooks I know they are older but I have found some good deals that would save me alot of money like $700 ones with decent stats 1.3ghz 768mb and a video card. I would just like to know from experienced mac users would it be wise to buy one of these for school and not have to buy a new one within a couple of months? I will be buying one in January I am a student so things over $1000 get kind of hard to pay for so the g4's sound good to me
acoustics940 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:11 PM   #2
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustics940 View Post
I will be buying a notebook next month for college and keeping my desktop at home it takes up way to much room and is a pain. I have been looking around and think I want a mac most pc laptops I have seen get old and shabby looking within a year and slow down to horrible speeds so. I have a friend who has a mac I am not quite sure what kind but its almunimum and extremely small with only like 100 something mb a 800 mhz and 35 gb hd I think. I was extremely impressed by how fast it ran even after 3 years for such low speed cpu and low memory. I will be using it for usual school work microsoft office internet music burning things and about and hour a day or less some warcraft 3/ starcraft. I have been looking at the g4 ibooks I know they are older but I have found some good deals that would save me alot of money like $700 ones with decent stats 1.3ghz 768mb and a video card. I would just like to know from experienced mac users would it be wise to buy one of these for school and not have to buy a new one within a couple of months? I will be buying one in January I am a student so things over $1000 get kind of hard to pay for so the g4's sound good to me
I figure when you say "college" and stuff you're from the US. If so, check out the Refurbished store - you can pick up older models that have been returned, fixed and passed a second quality control check before being sold at a significant discount - you also get the full Apple warranty if something goes awry.

If you go Here
you can find some great deals on new Intel Macs, with MacBooks below the $1000 mark, there's a black one there for US$899.

I'd really steer clear of the iBooks now, they're great machines but the future is Intel and you may as well spend a little extra cash to get something that's going to take you into the future in comfort.

Don't forget that as a Uni student you'll be eligible for the Apple Education discount - check out the education store online for pricing.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:41 PM   #3
California
macrumors 68040

Sounds like your friend has a 12" 867mhz Powerbook. They are great machines. My mom's is running fine and almost as fast as my 1.5ghz 12" Powerbook.

Shop around for a cheap iBook. They can be had.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 04:09 PM   #4
operator
macrumors regular

I've been using a 12" ibook for almost 2 years now - it still runs perfectly. This computer is a real workhorse - it has seen almost constant use since I got it, has performed very well, and never crashed ever (not even once!). I think an iBook is still a good choice, as long as you get a good price. Also, the iBooks have really good battery life... 4+ hours.
operator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 06:25 PM   #5
acoustics940
macrumors member

Ok I am a noob what would be a decent setup and how much should I pay for it. I was thinking a 1.4 with 1gb if i can find it for around $800 But what is a good g4 cpu. I know they are diffrent from intels and amd I have no idea what the diffrences are in powerpc processors
Old Dec 18, 2006, 06:52 PM   #6
steelphantom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Ok I am a noob what would be a decent setup and how much should I pay for it. I was thinking a 1.4 with 1gb if i can find it for around $800 But what is a good g4 cpu. I know they are diffrent from intels and amd I have no idea what the diffrences are in powerpc processors
For 800 bucks, you could get a refurbished MacBook from the Apple store. It would be way faster than a G4 laptop and would be more "future-proofed." The refurbished machines come with 1-year warranties and are essentially new (save the packaging). If you can swing $800, definitely go with a MacBook.
steelphantom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 08:25 PM   #7
acoustics940
macrumors member

Yea they are $799 but with tax and mac office it will be about $1200 =/ TN tax is a killer and mac office is insane
Old Dec 18, 2006, 09:51 PM   #8
steelphantom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yea they are $799 but with tax and mac office it will be about $1200 =/ TN tax is a killer and mac office is insane
You can get Office: Student and Teacher Edition for $149. Still not exactly dirt cheap, but better than the regular $399. See if your school (or prospective school, if you're not in college yet) offers discounts on Mac software. They might be able to get you an even better deal on Office.
steelphantom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:24 PM   #9
n-abounds
macrumors 6502a

I have an iBook you can have for cheap. PM me if you're interested...

1.07GHz
768Mb
80G HD (it's a new hd cause I wanted more space)
Superdrive
14" screen

I know 1.07 is lower than some iBooks, so I realize it will bring the price down. But yea, PM me.
n-abounds is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs