Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I'm working on a modding project, and due to the constraints of the lcd wiring in my old ibook, I need to mount the screen upside down. Is there a way in OSX to flip the screen so that it projects upside down?

EDIT: Sorry, wrong forum, can a mod move this to OS X please?

disconap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Ok, in Tiger (which I'm working in right now on my G5), I don't even have a screens option in prefs. Appearance, Desktop/ScreenSaver, and Displays, yes, but none of them have a rotate option...

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
??? It's under system preferences At least on my mac-mini with a Dell LCD. I just checked again - it's there - I tried it - and got seasick looking at it till I could get it back normal again! Geesh - mouse move just the opposite, etc. :eek:

I have never seen such an option on any of my 80 or so Macs. Perhaps you have a pivoting display (the kind that swivels around with the release of a latch)?

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
Oops - I made a misteak

Apology - I just went back and looked at my post - I said Screen - I should have said Display - humble apologies for any confusion I may have caused - as Jimmy Buffet would say - mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa :( :( :(

disconap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Hey no worries. I somehow completely missed the fact that it existed IN displays, so all good. Looks like it's only in Tiger, though, which makes things more difficult...

So, anyone know of a way to do this in Jaguar or Panther?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Apology - I just went back and looked at my post - I said Screen - I should have said Display - humble apologies for any confusion I may have caused - as Jimmy Buffet would say - mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa :( :( :(

It doesn't make a diff I still don't see it... not for my ViewSonic, my ADC, or my crappy Envision LCD. Perhaps it's a feature of only certain GPUs?

disconap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Hmm. That makes sense, but still leaves me needing some kind of solution...

No hardware hacks or anything? I suppose I can resolder longer wires and get the same result, but there are SO many damn wires in monitor lines, it will take friggin hours...

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Hey no worries. I somehow completely missed the fact that it existed IN displays, so all good. Looks like it's only in Tiger, though, which makes things more difficult...

So, anyone know of a way to do this in Jaguar or Panther?

Try holding option while clicking on System Preferences and Displays. I seem to remember being able to do this on my PowerBook in the pre-Tiger days.

It might also be command or control, but option seems to ring the most bells for me.

Of course that only brings up the aforementioned rotate options.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Try holding option while clicking on System Preferences and Displays. I seem to remember being able to do this on my PowerBook in the pre-Tiger days.

It might also be command or control, but option seems to ring the most bells for me.

I will DEFINITELY try this. I broke the backlight, though, so I won't be able to test it until I replace that. Thanks for the tip, though, it works on my imac so it may work on the ibook. You rock, thanks! (and it is option, btw)

tominated

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia

it didn't work on my imac
BTW: are you trying to make a mac tablet

disconap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
That's part of the project, yes. I've successfully completed all of it using a cheap Aiptek tablet, I just need to build the screen case and flip the monitor. EDIT: and replace the backlight, which I accidentally broke.

And yeah, when I looked more in depth, I couldn't flip it in preferences on my imac, I clould only skew it about 10 degrees or so...

spalding4130

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
i found out if you hit CONTROL key and then click display in sys pref you will get more options.... like Rotation.. Thanks man

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Since no one mentioned this, on the PPC Mac laptops you can install ATI Displays which gives you lots of extra features with your card, such as rotating the display. You can also override game settings (the most advantageous of which is enabling FSAA in games that never supported it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.