Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
In XP, I can hold "Ctrl-L" to lock my screen and still have whatever is going on in the background go on. But no one else can get into the computer but me because a password is asked for. I've not been able to figure out how to do this in OS X...Any help would be appreciated.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Apple + Shift + Q then press enter to log out.

EDIT: Oh crap... that wont keep stuff running though. My bad.

Er... dunno

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Quickest way to force a password is to use a hot corner to activate the screen saver. You can set this in the Dashboard & Exposé system preferences. You can use the Security system preference pane to make the screen saver ask for a password.

A second way to get a login prompt is to enable fast user switching, that will also add a Login Window... menu item.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Quickest way to force a password is to use a hot corner to activate the screen saver. You can set this in the Dashboard & Exposé system preferences. You can use the Security system preference pane to make the screen saver ask for a password.

And set a hot key (e.g., F12) that is equivalent to the hot corner.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
In XP, I can hold "Ctrl-L" to lock my screen and still have whatever is going on in the background go on. But no one else can get into the computer but me because a password is asked for. I've not been able to figure out how to do this in OS X...Any help would be appreciated.

I prefer using my mouse, so what I did is: open Keychain Access and select the pref "Show status in menu bar". That puts a little lock up there which has "Lock Screen" as the first item.

I'm assuming you already know how to password-protect your screensaver?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I force my Mac to sleep (and ofcourse have the option ebabled: "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver" in the Security pane in System Preferences).

Hit the <CTRL> and <EJECT> key, and at the next window, press <S>

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I've never found it too onerous to just go to the users menu... but that dashboard widget looks interesting, thanks for the link.
Although it's hard to say that going into Dashboard and then double clicking a widget is in any way easier that just selecting "Login window..." from the User menu.

tokolowicz

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2005
http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macosxhints/2006/01/lockscreen/index.php

"Just navigate to System -> Library -> Frameworks -> Screensaver.framework -> Versions -> A -> Resources, and then drag ScreenSaverEngine.app onto your dock, sidebar, or toolbar. Now when you want the screensaver to activate, just click the convenient icon. The dock will prove the easiest spot to reach, since it’s visible in all applications. If you have a launcher program such as Peter Maurer’s Butler or Objective Development’s LaunchBar, you could even create a keyboard shortcut that will open the program for you, no mousing around required."

I personally use Quicksilver and assign "Command-L" as the trigger. Works like a charm.

Hope this helps.

-Todd

lexus

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macosxhints/2006/01/lockscreen/index.php

"Just navigate to System -> Library -> Frameworks -> Screensaver.framework -> Versions -> A -> Resources, and then drag ScreenSaverEngine.app onto your dock, sidebar, or toolbar. Now when you want the screensaver to activate, just click the convenient icon. The dock will prove the easiest spot to reach, since it’s visible in all applications. If you have a launcher program such as Peter Maurer’s Butler or Objective Development’s LaunchBar, you could even create a keyboard shortcut that will open the program for you, no mousing around required."

I personally use Quicksilver and assign "Command-L" as the trigger. Works like a charm.

Hope this helps.

-Todd

What is Quicksilver exactly.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.