Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitarfrk268

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
Alright, I don't have a lot of money, and thus can't afford to get a Mac Pro, but my MDD G4 died :-( and I need a new computer. I would use it mainly for Photoshop work on midsized files...

I am just wondering if the additional money to get a G5 would be worth it over a C2D mini?

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Alright, I don't have a lot of money, and thus can't afford to get a Mac Pro, but my MDD G4 died :-( and I need a new computer. I would use it mainly for Photoshop work on midsized files...

I am just wondering if the additional money to get a G5 would be worth it over a C2D mini?

There's no such thing as C2D mini. They are still on CD.

Will you use more than 2 gigs of memory? WIll you need a lot of HD space? Will you use PCI slots? Will you run more than 1 display? Will you need more than 1920x1200 resolution on your screen?

If anything from the above is yes, get a dual-core 2.3 GHz G5. Its an awesome machine! :)

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Also note that currently there is no full Intel version of Adobe Photoshop. So Photoshop will run slow on an Intel MacMini.

Also note that you'll be required to use an external FW/USB 2 Hard Drive if you need any extra storage. As far as speed goes, I'd would estimate that the Core Duo MacMini and 2.3 GHz PowerMac G5 have about the same processing power, with the PowerMac being better at certain tasks. 

I would put up the extra cash for the PowerMac G5. 

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
you can make a core 2 duo mini by buying a core duo (or better, a core solo) and swapping in a merom processor.

IMO, there's no question the G5 is a better machine. BUT, the G5s also still sell for an awful lot. You could put together a merom mini for less than half of what you'd pay for a dual 2.3-2.7 Ghz G5 and have just as much processing power. Now, what you'd give up is HD space, video card options, and PCI slots. What you'd save is money and space. Your call.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
you can make a core 2 duo mini by buying a core duo (or better, a core solo) and swapping in a merom processor.

IMO, there's no question the G5 is a better machine. BUT, the G5s also still sell for an awful lot. You could put together a merom mini for less than half of what you'd pay for a dual 2.3-2.7 Ghz G5 and have just as much processing power. Now, what you'd give up is HD space, video card options, and PCI slots. What you'd save is money and space. Your call.

good summary of the pros and cons. if you're going to spring for a refurb/used PowerMac G5, i'd suggest going for a new iMac C2D instead because it has everything you need built in. it's probably a little more money but a better investment, IMO, in the long run.

also, swapping the processor in the mini would undoubtedly void the warranty.

Hummin

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2006
Hi,
I was thinking about a new mac mini or a new mac pro 2x2Ghz .
difference in price and power are neat.

I work with 10 mepgapixel photography raw files on my current pc and I'm moving into mac.

I was very struggled with these tw models, but now I'm seeing that some otther friends are using a max out mac mini ( 2GB and 160 HD) and photshop / lightroom run good. for backup there are external hardisks.

I'm really thinking about it cause the two-processor power of the mac pro is really over that I need to work with my photography.
a dual processor is must perfoer on video editing and 3d-modeling or maybe mathematics.

I really need all that power ?
I'm waiting the core 2 duo mac mini (maybe apple also update a 7200 rpm or maybe give the ability to add more that 2 GB on the mini).

bye

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
As far as speed goes, I'd would estimate that the Core Duo MacMini and 2.3 GHz PowerMac G5 have about the same processing power, with the PowerMac being better at certain tasks.

Hmm, dont think so. A CoreDuo 2.0 - maybe 2.16 estimates to dual-core 2.3 G5.

Hi,
I was thinking about a new mac mini or a new mac pro 2x2Ghz .
difference in price and power are neat.

I work with 10 mepgapixel photography raw files on my current pc and I'm moving into mac.

I was very struggled with these tw models, but now I'm seeing that some otther friends are using a max out mac mini ( 2GB and 160 HD) and photshop / lightroom run good. for backup there are external hardisks.

I'm really thinking about it cause the two-processor power of the mac pro is really over that I need to work with my photography.
a dual processor is must perfoer on video editing and 3d-modeling or maybe mathematics.

I really need all that power ?
I'm waiting the core 2 duo mac mini (maybe apple also update a 7200 rpm or maybe give the ability to add more that 2 GB on the mini).

bye

There's really no free space in mini to include more RAM slots in it. The only option is to allow 2 GB sticks, but those are expensive.

Mac mini isn't really ment for such serious tasks (RAW photography). If you plan to use Aperture (and I highly recommend it), you'd better go with Mac Pro. Aperture demands really fast machine! It feels ok with 2-core processor, but with all power Mac Pro has (and Quad G5) it feels comfortable.

You'll want to expand your RAM to at least 3 GB, prefferably - 4 for 10 MP RAWs, especially with Aperture.

Or you could get a C2D iMac, even if you already have a screen, you can have a dual-monitor setup.

Speaking of dual monitors: you can attach only 1 display to the mini, but up to 8 to the Mac Pro (with additional graphics cards of course)

guitarfrk268

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
Hmmm, well hard drive space definitely wouldn't be an issue, as my PC has... somewhere in the 1.8TB range... I have never really used my main Mac to store files on at all, even back when I had a blue and white G3 I had a good 'ol 8600PPC with lots of 9GB hard drives in it. :)

But yeah, mainly the processing power is what I am thinking, though probably more in the 2Ghz range... the dual core 2.3Ghz are just to darned expensive.

I had forgotten about the dual monitor thing, that could suck.

Hummin

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2006
Mac mini isn't really ment for such serious tasks (RAW photography). If you plan to use Aperture (and I highly recommend it), you'd better go with Mac Pro.

Or you could get a C2D iMac, even if you already have a screen, you can have a dual-monitor setup.

My sister own a iMAc core 2 duo 2Ghz with 2 GB of ram (and the radeon x1800) I tryed working with my raw there (canon eos 5D) and as speed is nice and I have no problem.

I also tryed Aperture but not find as so usefull in my task , so I don't think I'll use it on my workflow .

I'm very struggled by deciding mac mini or mac pro , I don't want a imac cause I want to use a cinema display or another external monitor.

another thing , I 'm really bored by the noise and the hot that my current pc is doing in my room .... the silence of the mini is really appeling me....

I'll wait since the 8th of jan by the way ...

Irish Dave

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
The Emerald Isle

I run both the CD Mac Mini and a PowerMac G5
The Mini is a brilliant little machine and will run photoshop without a great deal of trouble, but ............ The G5's ability to take lots of RAM and faster hard drives makes it more suitable for your tasks.

Go for the G5 add a second hard drive and fit 4 Gb of ram, this will give you awesome power.

Dave :)

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I run both the CD Mac Mini and a PowerMac G5
The Mini is a brilliant little machine and will run photoshop without a great deal of trouble, but ............ The G5's ability to take lots of RAM and faster hard drives makes it more suitable for your tasks.

Go for the G5 add a second hard drive and fit 4 Gb of ram, this will give you awesome power.

Dave :)

Umm, he is hecidong between the mini and Mac Pro, not G5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.