Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
Hi friends,

So I'm home from college for winter break, and I brought home my iSight (formerly attached to my iMac with the magnetic iMac connector) so that I could use it with my brother's Mac Mini. Here's the question - I only brought home the iSight and the magnetic iMac connector...

Apparently, the top of the Mac Mini is magnetic - the connector sucks up to it right away. It also sucks up the Mini's powerbrick. My question is: Is placing a magnet on these surfaces safe? They seem like my best bets for positioning the iSight, but I don't wanna damage my bro's comp/battery.

thanks!

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Inside the top of the Mini is just the optical drive, so you should be fine there. I can't imagine that the magnet would be powerful enough to harm anything in it, or even in the power supply.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
yeah i really dont think itll harm anything the optical drive is on top and it shouldnt mess anything up

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I agree that you should be fine setting it on the mini, although the power supply would be completely safe. Still, the HD is pretty far away, so the mini itself should be fine.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
that's a relief, thanks! I wonder if the mac mini is magnetic intentionally, for isight purposes...

clindner

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
that's a relief, thanks! I wonder if the mac mini is magnetic intentionally, for isight purposes...

I think it is probably just metallic, and not magnetic. It would make no sense to put a magnet in a computer near a hard drive.

geislert

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2006
OFallon Il
I wouldn't put a magnet on top of the mini and especially keep it away from the left side if you do. Some of the magnets used today have extremeely strong fields and its better to be safe when it comes to your data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.