Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 19, 2006, 03:55 PM   #1
CMD is me
macrumors 6502

Last version PowerBook or MacBook?

I'm wanting to upgrade my 1ghz PowerBook and am considering a last version 1.67ghz PowerBook or a referb MacBook.

My main system is a 1.8ghz DP PowerMac and I use all non-Intel friendly apps -- Quark 6, CS2, iLife 05, Office, etc. All my apps are up-to-date and somewhat pricey so I don't plan to upgrade them any time soon (I like to go every other -- ie CS2 to CS4 and CS3 isn't even out yet). I use the PB mostly for personal use, but keep it as a back up system to my G5. I'd like something that runs a bit faster -- plus I can write off any purchases as a 'o6 business expense if I act fast.

Considering all my apps are not developed to run on an Intel system what would be faster, the last version 1.67mhz PowerBook or a MacBook? I've read where the MacBooks are actually slower -- MUCH slower than previous G4s running CS.

Secondarily I'm not sure if I'd like a smaller screen. Does the MB have a smaller pixel per inch count? How does brightness compare?

Thanks for your help.
CMD is me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 04:14 PM   #2
MatthewCobb
macrumors regular

My PBG4 was the 1Ghz model. Am very very happy with my MacBook. Haven't noticed non-universal apps (like you, most of those I possess) running slower - if anything they go faster because core functions whizz along. The only sad thing is that I have lost some of my old Classic apps (including a version of Statview that goes back to 1986 and used to run on my MacPlus...), all of which did the job perfectly well. Screenwise, I have the glossy and it is fantastic. Going back to the PB it seems clunky, fuzzy and lo-res (mainly because it is). I think my advice is clear!
Old Dec 19, 2006, 04:39 PM   #3
JSchwage
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to JSchwage Send a message via MSN to JSchwage Send a message via Yahoo to JSchwage Send a message via Skype™ to JSchwage
Photoshop CS3 is supposedly going to be released early 2007. Personally, I'd go with a Macbook. And if prices are an issue, check out the refurbished Macbooks on Apple's website. They include a Core Duos, but are about $300 cheaper than their new Core 2 Duo counterparts.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 04:46 PM   #4
4nr-
macrumors regular

Most apps will become universal in the first quarter of 2007. So go macbook and make sure you have enough ram installed because 512 will make it feel slow. My girlfriend has a black cd with 512 ram and it "lags" constantly, MS word 2004 under rosetta is almost unbearably slow on her mb.
4nr- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 05:06 PM   #5
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

If you're not doing 3D work, MacBook.

As much as I like my PowerBook, I believe that enough major applications will be Universal (sort of Universal in Adobe's case) by June 2007 that there is no reason to hold back on buying any of the Intel-based machines.
bousozoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 05:08 PM   #6
CMD is me
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies thus far. I found a review that is great for comparisons and does show the MacBook running CS2 slower by a bit. I saw the great prices on the refurbished models. I'm not sure if the Core 2 Duo is worth $200-300 over the Core Duo -- at that point, I'd probably look at the refurbished MacPro -- and then that's getting WAY over the cost of a used 1.67 PB, which is where I started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nr- View Post
My girlfriend has a black cd with 512 ram and it "lags" constantly, MS word 2004 under rosetta is almost unbearably slow on her mb.
I'm surprised Word runs slow. 512MB should be plenty for Office. I know my 1ghz PB with 1GB runs it effortlessly. THAT is my consern. I don't want to spend $1000+ and have a system which lags behind for the next year or two. Will maximizing the RAM help the Rosetta issues?

Last edited by CMD is me; Dec 19, 2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 05:13 PM   #7
extraextra
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD is me View Post
I'm surprised Word runs slow. 512MB should be plenty for Office. I know my 1ghz PB with 1GB runs it effortlessly. THAT is my consern. I don't want to spend $1000+ and have a system which lags behind for the next year or two. Will maximizing the RAM help the Rosetta issues?
Maximizing RAM definitely helps with Rosetta. 2GB's will be good! I have 1GB and it runs fine, if you start to do image-heavy, 500 page documents, then it lags, but overall it runs pretty smoothly on 1GB.

And the screen of the Macbook is way better than the Powerbook.
extraextra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 05:58 PM   #8
Maxiseller
macrumors 6502a

I have a similar setup to yours. I've got a DP 1.8 Powermac and Had a iBook with 1.25Gb Ram.

I have now replaced the iBook with a macbook and honestly the macbook is pretty much on a par with the PowerMac in terms of raw speed.

Load it with ram and please buy the macbook - you are securing yourself an extra two years of useful computational life.
Maxiseller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 06:56 PM   #9
CMD is me
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiseller View Post
I have now replaced the iBook with a macbook and honestly the macbook is pretty much on a par with the PowerMac in terms of raw speed.
What apps have you tried running. I also found this test. Using CS2 it makes the refurb Core Duo's look pretty slow compared to the Powerbook! And here I thought I was off the fence. Of course, I also don't run a 14 line PS script very often on the portable either.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 07:12 PM   #10
iW00t
Banned

Have you considered a refurbished MBP?

The last gen PBs are overpriced for what they give. I'd never consider paying more than $700 for even a tricked out model, but people consistently bid over 1 grand for those on eBay.
iW00t is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 07:16 PM   #11
fivetoadsloth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iW00t View Post
Have you considered a refurbished MBP?

The last gen PBs are overpriced for what they give. I'd never consider paying more than $700 for even a tricked out model, but people consistently bid over 1 grand for those on eBay.
yeah, id personally go fo a refurbed mbp for 1349 at apples refurb store. However between the powerbook and macbook id DEFINATLy go with the macbook
fivetoadsloth is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs