Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Dec 19, 2006, 09:18 PM   #1
jason2811
macrumors 6502a

TWO iPods, ONE Computer

I currently keep all my songs on my computer in my itunes library and sync them with my iPod. My brother and I share the computer and he is now getting an iPod and wants to put his own music on it. Is it possible to have TWO different libraries in iTunes each with different music? So that when my brother plugs his iPod in it will transfer only his songs and when I plug mine in it will only transfer MY songs? Is this possible? Thanks.
jason2811 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 09:20 PM   #2
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to 04440
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2811 View Post
I currently keep all my songs on my computer in my itunes library and sync them with my iPod. My brother and I share the computer and he is now getting an iPod and wants to put his own music on it. Is it possible to have TWO different libraries in iTunes each with different music? So that when my brother plugs his iPod in it will transfer only his songs and when I plug mine in it will only transfer MY songs? Is this possible? Thanks.
Create a new user/ profile.. That'd be the easiest.. and keep each other out of each others skin..
Old Dec 19, 2006, 09:23 PM   #3
jason2811
macrumors 6502a

Well this is on our home desktop (which is a PC). I have my own MacBook which I use for school and whatnot but I don't keep much music on there.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 09:24 PM   #4
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to 04440
Make a new user on the windows machine.. It isn't too hard.. and you guys have seperate accounts...
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:19 PM   #5
pianoman
macrumors 68000

you can configure this through the iPod settings. when he plugs in his iPod, it will ask him if he wants to transfer all his music - click no. then, go into iPod settings (by clicking on the iPod in the source pane in iTunes 7) and check the playlists to sync for each iPod. he can sync whatever playlists he wants on his iPod and you can sync whatever playlists you want on yours. the computer and iTunes will recognize the different iPods when they are plugged in and will only sync whatever playlists you have selected for the specific iPod.
pianoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:16 AM   #6
jason2811
macrumors 6502a

Yeah but neither of us use playlists. We each just want to have our own libraries. Is it possible?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:36 AM   #7
happy.buddha
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to happy.buddha Send a message via MSN to happy.buddha Send a message via Yahoo to happy.buddha Send a message via Skype™ to happy.buddha
Yeah you buy an external drive for the MacBook and keep your music on there and then you don't have to worry about sharing with your brother nor do you have to worry about your music being on the MacBook.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:36 AM   #8
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
Not without creating new users. Why not just turn off auto-sync and load up your iPods manually?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:48 AM   #9
TheNightPhoenix
macrumors 6502

or...

Hold down alt when you boot up iTunes and each of you have your own library?

*edit* sorry forgot it's hold down shift when you open itunes to manage multiple libraries.

Last edited by TheNightPhoenix; Dec 20, 2006 at 08:57 AM.
TheNightPhoenix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:50 AM   #10
ziwi
macrumors 65816

Still seems easier to just creat 2 playlists versus managing users - 1 playlist called mine and one called his and then have the iPods sync to the playlist that matches...

ziwi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 09:08 AM   #11
jason2811
macrumors 6502a

anybody anyone else?
Old Dec 21, 2006, 09:16 AM   #12
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post
Not without creating new users. Why not just turn off auto-sync and load up your iPods manually?
TA DAH!!!

Easiest option right here. I hate, haaate auto-sync, every iPod I own is set for manual syncing of music.

Do this jason2811 and your problems will be solved. This way you control what goes on your iPod.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 09:17 AM   #13
Piarco
macrumors 68030

Two playlists a doddle. If the music is to be stored on the same computer, why does it matter if they are stored in different areas?

My housemate and I share the same library. We have some similar tastes, but them some wildly differing tastes. We run two iPods each from our respective playlists. Simplicity itself...
Piarco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:35 AM   #14
TheNightPhoenix
macrumors 6502

Quote:
anybody anyone else?
Do none the the suggestions above do it for you?

Apart from auto syncing from a play list theres no way to auto sync when plugged in.

The other option is like i said and have two libraries, but requires to hold keys when opening itunes.
TheNightPhoenix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 05:03 PM   #15
Marky_Mark
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Marky_Mark Send a message via MSN to Marky_Mark
Sync'ing playlists works well - I maintain four iPods from one library - mine, my wife's and each of my daughters. No sweat.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 07:56 PM   #16
d wade
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to d wade
Quote:
Yeah but neither of us use playlists. We each just want to have our own libraries. Is it possible?
dude, are you not listening to ANYONE?

MAKE A SEPARATE ACCOUNT ON THE WINDOWS COMPUTER
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:00 PM   #17
penter
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to penter Send a message via MSN to penter
there are easy solutions to your problem when using a Mac, such as scripts, third party applications, or simply by holding down "option" when launching iTunes.

I myself have attempted these methods for creating multiple libraries, and they work just fine. Now since you have a PC things are different....

I would say that creating playlists for you and your brother is the easiest way to solve the problem (if you do so, then set you iPod for Manuall Management). I know you have previously refused the proposal, but to me it seems lazy of your part.... Take a look at it, if you're not happy, then look around online for 3rd party programs that may offer such capabilities.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod