Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seedouble

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2005
Probably quite a common question, but here goes.

I've enjoyed using apple's system mail software. It's very simple and displays PDFs and stuff which is invaluable to my design job. I just stayed up all night reformatting my hard drive to start fresh for the new year and am wondering if there is email software that has better multiple account management.

I have 2 gmail addresses, one I just set up for work, and one for personal stuff.

Is there anything that would be suit my purposes? (it's gotta be free cos i'm broke)

Thanks

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
I use Mail for multiple accounts, it works great. I use DockStar for different alerts/symbols for each account (well worth $8)...

What else could you ask for in an email program?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
Mail.app can be set up for multiple accounts very easily and I know several people who use it for their Gmail accounts with no problems. I personally prefer to keep my mail on the Internet and not download it to my computer, so I use Gmail as the landing pad for all my e-mail; all three of my e-mail accounts are routed to my Gmail account so I only have to check one account and I can respond from whichever account/address I want. This works for me, others like Mail.app and still others like Mozilla's Thunderbird. I'm sure there are more out there, too.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
thunderbird is mozilla.org's product. support everything u just said
screenshot1mp1.png

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Mail is the way to go. I've used Thunderbird for awhile and really found it unnatural.

unnatural? why:confused:

about mail.app, its weirdly slow in receiving email from my school's imap server, and its folder structural are weird too. very strange to use.

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Your choices are pretty limited since you are in firmly entrenched in the free software zone. I say give Thunderbird a whirl, I have been using it for ages. I did recently switch to Gyaz Mail for POP3 due to thunderbird on Mac having problems with deleting mail off my server. I am still forced to use it for IMAP because Gyaz doesn't support IMAP yet, and of course Gyaz is not free.

Good Luck

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Mail absolutely rocks. Soooo easy to use, i have three accounts setup and it collects email spiffily from all of them (iMap included). I like the smart mailbox feature as this lets me know where each mail is coming from. Bounce back feature is also great at combatting spam

Search is also blazing fast. Outlook is unnatural/strange (granted it may edge out in terms of features), mail isn't.

I'm not used to thunderbird, however, my brother swears by it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.