Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Jan 23, 2007, 07:05 PM   #101
JackAxe
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by atszyman View Post
I went in last night and bought 1000 points for $10 on the Wii. It asked for the City/State/Zip/County of the billing address for the CC and then proceeded to charge me 10.83 which is our 8.25% sales tax where I live...

I guess you guys are just lucky enough to be in a state/county/city/whatever that Nintendo doesn't have to pay sales tax in...
That sucks. I just double checked mine to make sure I didn't brush over the tax charge and Nintendo didn't charge me tax on any of my purchases. I'm In California.

I've been leaving the county field blank, don't know if that makes a difference. If I got charged tax, I would just buy the cards from my friend's store.

<]=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjimmi View Post
Cant wait till this friday. We seem to get VC games 1-2 weeks either side of US launch dates. MK64 is pretty much guaranteed to do well. OMG! haha. I've got 4 GC controllers too! bring back the good ol' days
R-Type 3, Zelda and MK64
My next purchase is Zelda. Will probably pass on MK64, but would buy the SNES version. My favorite MK by far is the DS version.

I had 4 GC controllers. Gave one controller and my GC to a friend, so he could trade it in for his Wii.

<]=)

Last edited by bousozoku; Jan 31, 2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: please use the multi-quote feature
JackAxe is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2007, 07:14 PM   #102
atszyman
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to atszyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAxe View Post
That sucks. I just double checked mine to make sure I didn't brush over the tax charge and Nintendo didn't charge me tax on any of my purchases. I'm In California.

I've been leaving the county field blank, don't know if that makes a difference. If I got charged tax, I would just buy the cards from my friend's store.

<]=)
I might have to try that but I doubt it will work, I'm thinking this probably goes by state rather than county... and it's not that hard to find the county if you know the city and zip code... guess I'll just have to find out if Wii points count as an accessory at Best Buy... use a 10-12% off coupon to negate the tax.
atszyman is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:21 AM   #103
JackAxe
macrumors 68000

Where can I get one of these 10-12% coupons?

My wife sells lots of things online, so is pretty experienced with taxing and so on, and she commented that the reason you might be getting charged tax, is because you live in the state of origin. If Nintendo had its VC stuff set up here in CA, I would have to pay sales tax on each purchase.

<]=)
Old Jan 24, 2007, 07:45 AM   #104
atszyman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Where can I get one of these 10-12% coupons?

My wife sells lots of things online, so is pretty experienced with taxing and so on, and she commented that the reason you might be getting charged tax, is because you live in the state of origin. If Nintendo had its VC stuff set up here in CA, I would have to pay sales tax on each purchase.

<]=)
A reward zone membership (I think they're free now) and a Best Buy card. They send the coupons about once a month. Usually in a 3 pack. One that gives 10% off music, movies, or games with a limit of 3 in any combination (it used to be 5), another that is 10% of some fairly specific area merchandise (HDTV, Computers, Cameras), and a third that is 10% off a broader range of stuff and that one lately adds the 12% if you use your Reward Zone membership. We used to use them more but now we're getting more frugal with the kids and all...
atszyman is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2007, 04:49 PM   #105
JackAxe
macrumors 68000

Thanks. I'm going to sign up for that before I by a new TV for the front room.

<]=)
Old Jan 24, 2007, 08:27 PM   #106
aidanpendragon
macrumors 6502a

March 2007 Nintendo Power (apparently, register your Wii w./My Nintendo + buy some VC games = 3 free issues) gives a list of games out or soon to be out for the VC in the U.S. Super Mario World & DK Country are both in there. No specific dates given, but the message is "soon."

Other news: Captain N is out on DVD Feb. 27!!! Amazon already has it up for preorder.
aidanpendragon is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:11 PM   #107
Sky Blue

old....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
Comix Zone (good), Bonanza Bros (urgh), Gain Ground (eww) should be out on Monday (US).

In the latest issue of Nintendo Power, they have a 'what's new' in VC section. VC games they mention that are not yet up are:

Bonanza Bros.
Comix Zone
Streets of Rage
Gain Ground
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country

So all of the above should be out in the US in the next 6 weeks.
Sky Blue is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:38 PM   #108
Dagless
macrumors Core

Can you still hack onto the Wii Shop from a PC and check what games are coming out?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:10 PM   #109
atszyman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavy1918 View Post
Where did you hear this?

And yeah! A Link to the Past is out now!!!!
This link confirms Mario Kart 64 next week and it's straight from Nintendo.

On a fun side note... Suspend only works if you actually hit the home button... if for some odd reason the power button gets hit and the Wii turns off (gotta love toddlers) it will reset the game so you will have to continue from where you last saved... which for me in a LttP was before getting any of the pendants and about 4 hearts, at the point the power was hit I had 9 hearts and was almost to the 3rd pendant... about 2 hours of playtime gone...

Oh well at least this time I get to try to do it in 0 saves to really see how well I remember the game...at least with suspend I don't have to sit for what I seem to recall being a 7 hour marathon session to pull that off.
atszyman is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2007, 02:05 AM   #110
JackAxe
macrumors 68000

No toddlers here, so I haven't had that issue.

Does the VC LttP still have that counter bug, where as if you save and quit the counter advances by one?

I wish I could save multiple suspend states. This would certainly help out for R-Type. I got to the level 4 boss without dying again and forgot he comes from the left, so backed into him. *grumbles* Level 4 is a nightmare without all of the upgrades.

<]=)
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:33 PM   #111
atszyman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
No toddlers here, so I haven't had that issue.

Does the VC LttP still have that counter bug, where as if you save and quit the counter advances by one?

I wish I could save multiple suspend states. This would certainly help out for R-Type. I got to the level 4 boss without dying again and forgot he comes from the left, so backed into him. *grumbles* Level 4 is a nightmare without all of the upgrades.

<]=)
A bit of a hack and I won't guarantee that it'll work but you might try getting an SD card, suspending and then backing up that recently suspended game to the SD card. That way if you want to start from before you died you can just restore from the SD card.

I may have to try this myself just to see if it works. It could save me some time if I just back up to my SD card before starting to play...
atszyman is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2007, 07:28 PM   #112
Dagless
macrumors Core

OMFG

Mario Kart 64
Super Blade (or something) and another game too.

But MK64 instantly bought 1000 points and downloading now. Thanks Nintendo. You just ruined my summer holiday again
Old Jan 25, 2007, 07:53 PM   #113
JackAxe
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by atszyman View Post
A bit of a hack and I won't guarantee that it'll work but you might try getting an SD card, suspending and then backing up that recently suspended game to the SD card. That way if you want to start from before you died you can just restore from the SD card.

I may have to try this myself just to see if it works. It could save me some time if I just back up to my SD card before starting to play...
Thanks. That should work, didn't know about the save backups. I just don't have a SD card. I thought my MMC with its SD adapter would work, becuase the book states it does, but the Wii wouldn't recognize it.

I'm going to buy a SD card now.

<]=)

Quote:
OMFG

Mario Kart 64
Super Blade (or something) and another game too.

But MK64 instantly bought 1000 points and downloading now. Thanks Nintendo. You just ruined my summer holiday again
No MK64 for me. Still just M64.

<]=)

Last edited by bousozoku; Jan 31, 2007 at 09:14 PM. Reason: please use the multi-quote feature
JackAxe is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2007, 08:24 PM   #114
tk421
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No MK64 for me. Still just M64.

<]=)
I don't think Mario Kart has shown up for anybody yet. It's available Monday.
tk421 is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2007, 08:40 PM   #115
JackAxe
macrumors 68000

raggedjimmi says in his post he was downloading it at that time.

<]=)
Old Jan 25, 2007, 08:41 PM   #116
ddrueckhammer
macrumors 65816

Do you guys really think old school racing games are really worth getting? Games without stories like fighters and racers I typically just get the latest incarnation of. In other words, personally I don't see a need to own Mario Kart for every system. Just the newest one. On the other hand, I'm interested in seeing what fighting games come out for Wii but if nothing strikes my fancy, I'll get Soul Caliber II for GC. Also, there are some notalgic favorites I would make an exception for like Street Fighter II Turbo.

Last edited by ddrueckhammer; Jan 25, 2007 at 09:08 PM.
ddrueckhammer is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2007, 08:43 PM   #117
Dagless
macrumors Core

Plays perfectly. Took a while to get used to the CC with it though. Zl/r and L are swapped. Now to get 3 other ex-MK addictees around. Funny... I was expecting a load of Sega games going off their site. ho hum.

*edit: oh clever. nice one Sega for shunting the release date of your little trilogy forward by a week. don't think I didn't notice*
Old Jan 25, 2007, 08:53 PM   #118
DavidLeblond
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
I don't think Mario Kart has shown up for anybody yet. It's available Monday.
I do believe raggedjimmi lives across the pond.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:38 PM   #119
Sky Blue

These images are floating around on the Wii shop...maybe soon:

I can't see them releasing SMW and MK64 on the same day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrueckhammer View Post
Do you guys really think old school racing games are really worth getting? Games without stories like fighters and racers I typically just get the latest incarnation of. In other words, personally I don't see a need to own Mario Kart for every system. Just the newest one. On the other hand, I'm interested in seeing what fighting games come out for Wii but if nothing strikes my fancy, I'll get Soul Caliber II for GC. Also, there are some notalgic favorites I would make an exception for like Street Fighter II Turbo.
Yeah, I don't think i'll go for MK64, I don't think it's worth $10. The Wii version will be here soon enough*

* soon enough= Winter 2008

Last edited by bousozoku; Jan 31, 2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: posts next to each other
Sky Blue is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:47 PM   #120
tk421
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
raggedjimmi says in his post he was downloading it at that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLeblond View Post
I do believe raggedjimmi lives across the pond.
My mistake.

I knew Japan got a lot of VC games first. Since Europe got the Wii later than North America, I guess I assumed they would get VC games later. Now that I think about it, that doesn't make any sense. Japan also got the Wii later than North America! (not to mention games like Wii Play, which are later to us)
tk421 is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:55 PM   #121
Dagless
macrumors Core

HOMYGOD I'd trade MK64 for Mario World any day of the week.

You lucky, lucky people.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:57 PM   #122
Sky Blue

Quote:
HOMYGOD I'd trade MK64 for Mario World any day of the week.

You lucky, lucky people.
I edited my post.. i meant, they're not up yet, but could be soon
Sky Blue is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:00 PM   #123
tk421
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
These images are floating around on the Wii shop...maybe soon:

I can't see them releasing SMW and MK64 on the same day...
Where'd you get that stuff? By wii shop, you mean the Wii Shop Channel, or is this another web site?
tk421 is offline   0
Old Jan 26, 2007, 02:58 AM   #124
JackAxe
macrumors 68000

I was wondering the same thing. Did you get them through that FireFox Wii opera hack?

<]=)
Old Jan 26, 2007, 07:39 AM   #125
Sky Blue

Quote:
Did you get them through that FireFox Wii opera hack?

<]=)
Yeah, the images are there, but the pages for the games aren't. The same thing happened with LttP last week.
Sky Blue is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games