Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
How does this work? Is there any criteria on the ipod to do this? Does the ipod have to carry no charge at all to be qualified?

Also, say I have a 5g 60gig video, would i get the top of the line ipod for 59d dollars if I sent this in once the battary dies on me?

Thanks as I am a bit confused on this program

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
How does this work? Is there any criteria on the ipod to do this? Does the ipod have to carry no charge at all to be qualified?

Also, say I have a 5g 60gig video, would i get the top of the line ipod for 59d dollars if I sent this in once the battary dies on me?

Thanks as I am a bit confused on this program

It doesn't have to carry no charge to qualify but just merely be rather impaired. Suffice to say you can't go in with an iPod that's supposed to hold 14 hours but really holds 10 and get one most likely. They run diagnostic tests to determine the degree of it and there is most likely a scale.

The battery will only be replaced for free if the iPod is in the original warranty or carries the Apple Care extended warranty. If you don't have that and bring it in they may replace it for a fee which i believe is $249, but out of warranty iPods i'm a little hazy on. Basically, it seems to me that on an out of warranty iPod you have no reason to go to Apple so your best bet would be to try a third party place that will do it a lot cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.