Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam-i-am

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
So I decided to upgrade the hard drive in my MacBook Pro. I was just tired of getting the "startup disk almost full" errors. I found a great deal on a 160gb drive ($130) and set to work.

This is my second MacBook Pro, and I took apart my first one with no problems and got it back together. So I considered myself experienced in the art of getting it taken apart and putting it back together.

I carefully removed all the necessary screws. I was fully aware of the two screws behind the battery on the front side of the notebook. After getting the screws removed I began taking off the top case. It was caught up on the front a little bit so I, as recommended by the take-apart guide, slowly and carefully rocked it back and forth. I was careful not to force anything.

The top case just wouldn't come off. I tried a few more times and then set in to investigate further. Turns out I had left those two screws in. @#$!@! I had just bent up the top case. In fact, one of the tabs where those screws go in completely broke off.

Despite my setback I proceeded with the install, got everything back together, and tried it out. The top case is bent in the front, so the notebook wouldn't close properly. I mean, it would close, but you had to push really hard to get the latch to work.

Knowing what I did wrong the last time, I figured I was safe the open it again without too many problems. To make a long story short, I opened up and tried to fix the case about 5 times - making it progressively worse each time.

Upon getting it back together, it would either not close right or not fit together right. I took it apart one last time and finally took my marware pad off (duh) and put it back together. While I had it open though, I noticed many of the spot welds on the top case had come loose (you know the ones that hold the aluminum to the rest of the top case). I got some glue to pin it back down so it wouldn't be sticking up in the corners and by the keyboard (yes, I fubared it that bad).

All back together one last time, closes great, but now it's a pain in the ass to open. You have to dig your finger into the right side of the button to get it to release. I worked on it for a bit, getting os x installed and my old files transferred over from my previous hard drive, etc.

Finally I shut the lid and went to bed.

It gets worse!

In the morning I woke up and turned the thing on. Working great, but I noticed some smudging on my screen. Upon further inspection I noticed it was in an exact straight line across the screen exactly above where the top case aluminum meets the bottom of the keyboard. I had glued here and fumes from the glue must have come up and ruined the screen.

I tried cleaning it with a alcohol/water solution to no avail. The smudge appears to be actually damage from the fumes of the glue to the screen.

So, to recap: Upgraded hard drive from 80 to 160 gigs. Downgraded latch to non-opening, top case to non-fitting, and screen to permanent smudge. I also realize that I probably hosed my warranty. I sprung for the 3 year and am in my first year. I assume I can't get a refund on the last two years so I'm pretty much screwed. A refund would be nice because it would at least pay for a new top case (~$250).

Moral of the story: don't be a dumbass.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
madfrinkblack.gif

Stop that, your hurting it!

lol man sounds like you really fubared your MBP, and yes, you've more than likely destroyed any remains of the warranty. Don't know what to say except that hopefully your MBP is still in a useable state.

sam-i-am

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Well fortunately the thing is still in decent working order. The smudges on the screen can only be seen in direct light. Everything else is working, I'm just kicking myself.

Thing is I have taken these apart before - I've even taken apart HP laptops several times to resolder parts on the motherboard - so I'm no stranger to this kinda thing and the HPs are about 100x more complicated (albeit plastic is a bit more forgiving). I'm just pissed because I was so stupid and I really shouldn't have been.

sigh.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
Bummer, I know how things like this can get out of hand quickly and build on each other.

On a positive note you can get a prorated refund on Applecare, give them a call and tell them your story.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
One option that you might try.

Go to a Genius Bar with a pathetic puppy dog look and tell them your sad story.

They might consider repairing your MBP for free if you pay for the parts (keyboard, case, etc.).

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
One option that you might try.

Go to a Genius Bar with a pathetic puppy dog look and tell them your sad story.

They might consider repairing your MBP for free if you pay for the parts (keyboard, case, etc.).

I`ll second that.

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
someone takes this mans shovel away! he just keeps digging that hole!

that really is a shame, what a waste of a MBP. I feel sorry for the computer, not the guy who can't follow a take-apart guide.

pictures would be nice

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
I came here via the Digg posting. Wow! :eek: Even more impressive than the mishap is the simple fact that sam' has recounted this story for the masses, and then summed it up with some self-deprecation!

Cheers Sam'. You're a bigger person than most for sharing this story in such excruciating detail. Even with the inherent anonymity granted in these forums, I doubt most would've done the same.

Dugg

benguin

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2006
Canada
Wow, that sure sucks. Reminds me of when I upgraded the harddrive in this computer (12" PB). My story isn't nearly as bad though. All I broke was the little plug connecting the keyboard. The PB 12" is ridiculously hard to upgrade the harddrive; I had to take apart just about everything to get to it. I counted I think 28 tiny screws, of about 5 different sizes, and two different heads.

I was lucky though; brought it in to The Mac Group the next day, and the guy there gave me a new (used) keyboard and installed it, all for free. The new keyboard does have slight problems with a couple keys, but nothing serious.

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
Reminds me of a time, many moons ago, when I tried to do a simple PC upgrade (don't give me that look, I'm still saving up for my first mac as we speak). Up to the point of installing the new motherboard and processor, things were frustrating but positive. Being young at the time, I was unaware of the flacidity of motherboards in general and ended up creating a 4 inch crack straight through every layer of the motherboard as I proceeded to install the CPU fan. It was at this point I understood the purpose of curse words. :)

It happens to the best of us.

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Reminds me of a time, many moons ago, when I tried to do a simple PC upgrade (don't give me that look, I'm still saving up for my first mac as we speak). Up to the point of installing the new motherboard and processor, things were frustrating but positive. Being young at the time, I was unaware of the flacidity of motherboards in general and ended up creating a 4 inch crack straight through every layer of the motherboard as I proceeded to install the CPU fan. It was at this point I understood the purpose of curse words. :)

It happens to the best of us.

Hahha, OUCH! I can't imagine how hard you pushed to get that large of a crack to go all the way through! :)

mynameisjesse

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2005
new york.
I can't imagine how bad you must feel. I've thought about taking apart my MBP before, but now I'm kinda glad I didn't. As someone else said, they should refund some of the apple care if you say the right things. I wish you luck in fixing it.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Apple really should work on making hard drives user-upgradeable again in their pro laptops. You can with a MacBook, so why not with the MacBook Pro?

I've changed hard drives in an old G3 PowerBook (Pismo) 5 or 6 times - it was easy and caused no damage.

I've only done it once with my PowerBook G4, and ended up causing some slight damage to the casing around the DVD slot (don't trust the upgrade guide at MacFixit for the PowerBook G4, it's wrong)... I hope this hard drive lasts, because I really don't want to open that computer up again. I consider this a serious design flaw.

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
Refund on the extended AppleCare that he hosed and can't use anyway... Knee-jerk.

it is possible to get a refund, just call apple care, tell them you want a refund for your apple care, and they will give you a prorated refund.

i just did so with my MBP that i returned (for a mac pro). it took 4 weeks for my refund check to come in the mail.

cynerjist

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
it is possible to get a refund, just call apple care, tell them you want a refund for your apple care, and they will give you a prorated refund.

i just did so with my MBP that i returned (for a mac pro). it took 4 weeks for my refund check to come in the mail.

i think it is nice that applecare provides refunds, period. i cannot imagine this is a standard practice with extended warranties. i can't imagine trying to get an extended service plan from Best Buy back. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.