Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Dec 26, 2006, 02:41 AM   #1
SpaceJello
macrumors 6502

Strange OS X "Poof" Logout and Shutdown sound

Some strange thing is happening.

I am getting a "POOF" sound whenever I log off or restart/shut down the computer, I am not sure what happened... anyone know where to get

That poof sound is when you usually remove an icon from the dock sound.

THANKS
its really freaking me out
SpaceJello is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 07:47 AM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Is your system alert noise set to the poof sound? If it is, that suggests to me that one of your applications is generating an alert when Mac OS X asks it to quit when you shut down or log out.

If it isn't... several things could be going on. You could have an app that removes itself from the Dock whenever you log out or shut down (which seems very odd, and un-Mac-like to me). If that's not it, then perhaps one of your applications is set to make that poof sound when it quits.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 09:08 AM   #3
SpaceJello
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
If it isn't... several things could be going on. You could have an app that removes itself from the Dock whenever you log out or shut down (which seems very odd, and un-Mac-like to me). If that's not it, then perhaps one of your applications is set to make that poof sound when it quits.
I set up another account and checked the preferences, and finally narrowed it down to QUICKSILVER! of all programs. I had it as a launch items and for some reason it wasn't "hiding" when it launches. If I clicked hide, it doesn't make that sound.

Thanks! strange though
SpaceJello is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X