Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
Some strange thing is happening.

I am getting a "POOF" sound whenever I log off or restart/shut down the computer, I am not sure what happened... anyone know where to get

That poof sound is when you usually remove an icon from the dock sound.

THANKS
its really freaking me out

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Is your system alert noise set to the poof sound? If it is, that suggests to me that one of your applications is generating an alert when Mac OS X asks it to quit when you shut down or log out.

If it isn't... several things could be going on. You could have an app that removes itself from the Dock whenever you log out or shut down (which seems very odd, and un-Mac-like to me). If that's not it, then perhaps one of your applications is set to make that poof sound when it quits.

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
If it isn't... several things could be going on. You could have an app that removes itself from the Dock whenever you log out or shut down (which seems very odd, and un-Mac-like to me). If that's not it, then perhaps one of your applications is set to make that poof sound when it quits.

I set up another account and checked the preferences, and finally narrowed it down to QUICKSILVER! of all programs. I had it as a launch items and for some reason it wasn't "hiding" when it launches. If I clicked hide, it doesn't make that sound.

Thanks! strange though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.