Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
My friends PC laptop gets at least 2x the reception than I do, and his laptop is a cheap crappy Toshiba. So what's the deal? He can connect to like any network in his neighborhood, while I can barely find one in the exact same location. Why can't such an expensive laptop not pick up decent signals?

Also are the MacBook Pro's like this too?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Hmm, if you're talking about the AlBook 15" in your sig you shouldn't be having these problems. My PB12" picks up networks all over the show and like yours it has it's antenna mounted on the sides of the screen. How do you have the Airport configured? Do you have IPv6 turned off? Is Interface Robustness off?

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Just a guess here, but I think I've heard that the aluminum casing on the PB and MBP models blocks it's Airport signal. The cheap crappy Toshiba is probably made out of plastic. I could be completely wrong here, though.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
i think it feeds off of other open wireless signals and provides the signal you are running off of a little extra juice to fill in any spots that the second wireless might be stronger.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
IMO, Airport on my MacBook sucks when it comes to no-fame router brands that doesn't follow up on Apple's technologies. My university's Wi-Fi network uses access points from a provider company called Symbol Technologies and it's been mean to my MacBook, refusing to reconnect after putting it to sleep. However, my MacBook is working like a charm with my Linksys home router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.